Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this shotgun, a 12 gauge 28" full, from a 91 year old gentleman in a nursing home who figured he would not need it anymore. His son-in-law sold it to me for him for $320. The old man had it since new, and took very good care of it. I told him I would too!:)

SN is 168829. All original, excellent condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, he must have appreciated having someone to talk to, although he is hard of hearing and uses a phone that displays what the speaker is saying. Told me stories of hunting ducks, pheasants, and rabbits around Amarillo, Texas over the years. He said the last time he fired it was when he was 82, but since they put him in the nursing home he doesn't get a chance to go hunting anymore. He also is selling a 16 gauge Model 37, in nicer condition, with a PolyChoke. He said he loved that gun more; sent it back to the factory many years ago to be "gone through" and refinished. The factory couldn't find anything out of spec, so they just refinished it. I didn't buy that one too because of the PolyChoke. It has a recoil pad, too. Same asking price - $325. I was tempted, but 16 gauge ammo is scarce.

He told me where his son in law had the guns (there were some vintage .22 single shot rifles, too) for sale, cash only. After I decided to buy the 12, I didn't have a five, so the SIL took $320. I called the old man back and told him his SIL gave me a senior citizen discount! He was fine with that!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very nice! I have that exact shotgun in a sweet 16 with fixed full choke. It Was my grandfathers 1st shotgun. The stock was broken when I accuired it from my uncle, but Ithaca started making the model 37 available with the ringtail forend again. I called and gave them the serial number and was able to buy the exact new stock and forend. How cool is that. Have you shot it? If so have you fired any full power rounds in it? I havn't fired mine yet and have heard from a few not to use modern full power loads. I have about 5 full boxes of old peters paper hull shotshells sitting around. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent fired it yet, just got it yesterday. I don't plan on using full power loads, just field or target loads. I have some old stock of them around. Lead shot, too. No steel in this gun!

Reactions: icemanls2

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 1953 ithaca 37 12 ga . The best shotgun there is on the used market, even know mine only shoots 2 3/4 and cant change from a full choke. You got a good deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts