Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't shoot my 590-A1 often; it usually sits in the closet or beside my bed. But, I took it out back today and discovered a problem that wasn't there the last time I fired it.

I have a habit of keeping some rearward pressure on the slide when I shoot to keep the stock anchored in my shoulder. Upon firing, the bolt would come back about 50% and jam. The only way to clear the jam was to close the slide, press the slide release and rack. The gun would also go "on-safe".

I tried taking pressure off of the slide, solving the jamming problem but the safety continued to go back to the "on-safe" position.

I went back to the house (I shoot at home) and tightened the safety slide screw. This solved my problem so long as there was no reward pressure on the slide . Otherwise it continued to jam.

Has anyone else had this problem? On a quail hunt this could be an annoying but manageable problem, but when things go bump in the night this could be a major issuel.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
how old is the gun?

the slide coming back shouldn't effect the safety on it.

it's more the force of recoil making it slip.

take the shotgun (empty of course) and rack the action one handed. like grabbing the forearm and and shaking it up and down.

If the safety falls half down and catches, it's time to rebuild it.

This is the only downfall of the tang mounted safety. it'll slide back and catch under recoil if it's worn out or weak.

it's pretty simple to do especially if you don't have the annoying one way screw in the switch (these are basically pre stripped making it a huge pain in the ass to unscrew)

once you get it unscrewed there's a plate under the switch, a detent ball and a spring to put pressure on that ball.

replace the spring and plate.

you can get rebuild kits off ebay for less than 20 bucks shipped and it doesn't take that long to do the job.

I replaced my 500's safety a couple years ago and haven't had issue (I've had it 15 years and it's not had an easy life by any means)

EDIT: well, they're a little more expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOSSBERG-500-59...629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c3e2b77d

or you can look into Brownell's for ordering the parts.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The one handed racking excercise had no effect on movement of the safety. The A1 is less than a year old (5/2010) and I doubt that I've put more than 200 - 300 rounds through it.

I've got about 100 rounds or so of upland game loads that a friend gave me. It's over 40 years old but it still functions.

If the safety is going to fail I want it to do it sooner rather than later. All I need is a bear tearing up our tent with me holding a shotgun with a defective safety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts