Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mossy came with a bead on the front and naked on the back. I'd like to install sights. Criteria:

1) Nothing too precise, just something I can line up in a hurry, i.e. defensive situation.

2) Night sights preferred.

3) No gunsmithing, bolt and screw, rail if needed installation only. Heat shield compatable if practical.

Go.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
get a meprolight tritium bead.

it's all of 30 bucks and you can do it yourself with a little JB weld or loctite and a file.

I can bust up a paper plate at slugs from 25yds with a bead fairly easy.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
get a meprolight tritium bead.

it's all of 30 bucks and you can do it yourself with a little JB weld or loctite and a file.

I can bust up a paper plate at slugs from 25yds with a bead fairly easy.
Mepro was a front bead I was considering. No back sight needed? I figured a ghost ring would help.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can hit a paper plate @ 25yds with a bead.

I can even shoot a paper plate with a bow and arrow without sights @ 25 yds. I don't consider that acceptable accuracy for slugs, and I'm not very good with just a front sight. A rear sight is a HUGE improvement for me, and rifle sights are the schiznit. 3" groups @ 25 yds, that's more like it, and that's what I get with the new barrel. Sight acquisition is quick, and pulls up naturally. Compared to just a front sight, trying to guestimate center of the receiver, and elevation, this is MUCH faster. Some people do well with a bead, but I don't. Can't imaging a simple front sight would be any better.

They make bolt on rails for shotguns. A red/green dot is another option, I shot pretty good with that too. It was a pump shotgun, but I don't remember the brand. One of my friends brought it over.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You state "just something I can line up in a hurry, i.e. defensive situation."
Well most defensive situations are going to be very close and personal.
A single tritium bead will work well for such, at night/ low light, your not likely to see a rear ghost ring anyways.
Big glowing bead on center of mass... BOOM!
This would be the easiest, quickest and cheapest option.

Too use a with a ghost ring, you'll need a blade front sight, as the bead type won't work with rear ghost ring.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Threadjack......

I bought a used barrel and cut it down to 19in. How would I mount a fiber optic type sight/bead on the end of the barrel? I want something more than a magnet

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The factory bead is drilled and tapped.

Threadjack......

I bought a used barrel and cut it down to 19in. How would I mount a fiber optic type sight/bead on the end of the barrel? I want something more than a magnet
The factory bead installs in a hole that's drilled and tapped in the barrel. So long as you de-bur it really good, I don't see why you couldn't do that yourself. If you cut it down yourself, you should be able to do it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Mossy came with a bead on the front and naked on the back. I'd like to install sights. Criteria:

1) Nothing too precise, just something I can line up in a hurry, i.e. defensive situation.

2) Night sights preferred.

3) No gunsmithing, bolt and screw, rail if needed installation only. Heat shield compatable if practical.

Go.
Is the purpose of this shottie pretty much for home defense? I know you mention a defensive situation and lining up quick shots. Beads are faster than ghost rings signts. For a HD shotgun, I would stick with a front bead that makes for easy target acquisition. That is my non-professional opinion, YMMV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts