Shotgun Forums banner

Mossberg shotguns

5K views 31 replies 1 participant last post by  ShotgunPro 
#1 ·
I was at wally world last night looking for some ammo.... I know really stupid to think they would have some, and saw a 12 gauge Mossberg for $177.00. Never owned a Mossberg and was wondering if it was a good shotgun. Heck for the price if they're decent I may buy 2 (1 to set up for HD, and 1 for the kids to hunt with) looking for input on quality of mossbergs. thanks in advance.

#6 ·
Mossberg is a "budget shotgun". Don't expect good fit and finish, don't expect everything to fit nice and tight, and don't expect it to win any "miss shotgun" pageants.

But they go bang every time. Good working shotgun, I like them for home defense duties. Don't think I've ever had a mossberg break on me.

#7 ·
+1 Joeywhat said. I've had a Mossberg 500 for about 4 years now and have put about 2000 rds of birdshot, buckshot, and slugs through it. It isn't a beauty, and it took a beating one winter in Oklahoma in snow, sleet, and freezing rain. One great thing about them is the interchangeable barrels. Mine came with a rifled barrel for slugs and one for birds/skeet. I bought a 18 1/2" barrel later for HD, and you can swap them out in about a minute without anything more complicated than opposable thumbs. My company has 30 we use for non-lethal/riot purposes, and all of them are reliable as hell, despite the fact they're old as dirt.

#13 ·
My brother has 2 Mossberg 500s that he hunts with (one is a standard model and one is a dedicated slug gun with scope) and he's never had any problems with either. He took his first 2 deer with the slug gun this year and has hunted everything else with the other one. I've shot both and they are very rugged, durable, easy to use and overall, of very high quality. I have a Remington 1100 and I'm not about to part with it, but if I was to get another shotgun it would probably be a Mossberg 500. I'd definetely recommend it for either home defense or for your kids to learn to hunt with, though I'd suggest starting them off with a 20 Ga due to the lighter recoil.

#16 ·
I've had a Mossy 500 12 guage for about 25 years as a hunter. Just coverted to Hi Cap HD. Always went bang and pretty good accuracy. They are not "pretty" guns and may not be the tightest fit, but they got military use for a reason. I can't speak for the Maverick it is the bargain gun from Mossberg, most likely has some plastic parts in it like the trigger guard etc.

#24 ·
Its a shotgun.

That being said a Mossberg 500 will fling shot as well as anything out there.

However, I have always felt Mossberg 500s just felt cheap. I am a big fan of paying a few dollars more and getting a Remington 870.

I understand not everyone having a ton of money (I am one of them) but I always act under the assumption that guns are forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.