Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide where to spend my bonus should I suck it up and pay the price for a nice AK or simply get that Mossberg Roadblocker and more ammo for the XD.

pros and cons and yes the wife has approved either decision

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what do you have currently.

If you do have combat rifle, i would go shotty, youll get more since AK's are just in hyper demand.

If you do go ak look at some saiga rifles.

Look at the FAL and PTR91 etc, they havent doubled in price like AKs have.

All else being equal i would get that which risks being banned. So get yourself a bad boy rifle.

Fill us in with what your stash of guns consists of at this moment

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point we are strictly a pistol loving family.

Sig 232,
Sig P250
Glock 19
Beretta bobcat
XDm
XD 40 sub

hence my thinking time to get a little bigger fun gun. Kinda leaning towards the Saiga .308.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly i would go with a shotgun first, then an AK. Nothing beats a shotgun for home defence. Just the sound of racking a round, will make a bad guy shat himself. Also AK's are a premium right now. Yes you can thank the panic buyers for that one.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to pay upwards of $700 for an AK now. Hell you can get a decent AR, or M4 for that. I would wait untill things calm down, and the demand drops. That will eventualy drop the price.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point we are strictly a pistol loving family.

Sig 232,
Sig P250
Glock 19
Beretta bobcat
XDm
XD 40 sub

hence my thinking time to get a little bigger fun gun. Kinda leaning towards the Saiga .308.
good call, they really didnt go up crazy in price at all, they are still a great value, brand new guns, no rebuilds, no rusty parts painted over by centurys monkeys, no worn out barrels etc.

Saiga AK 47 .308 Rifle <----- link to atlantic $559 .308 saiga. Call to make sure its in stock.

pre election that was a $499 - $519 rifle
My bookmarks got screwed up, but sometimes i email guns tomyself, i have one on file, dated 9-8-08 that .308 saiga was $519.

I am very pleased with my .223 saiga.

I am considering buying a .308 saiga myself since they are still bargain priced.

Allot of the $500-600 AK's i was looking at pre ellection are just priced retarded high. I just cant stomach paying $950 for a used AK that has been run hard, put away wet, and slightly worked over.

Plus you can alway pick up a shotty.

Post ban you would be able to get them for a few years anyways, incase we ever turn into england or autralia type gun control, it would be a number of years ... the slippery slope starts with AR15 AK47, and in ten years they are taking our bolt action .22s and shotguns.

I wouldnt bet you can get an AK at the local pawn shop. I would bet you can walk in a buy an remmy 870, or mossy 500 used for a good fair price.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want to pay upwards of $700 for an AK now. Hell you can get a decent AR, or M4 for that. I would wait untill things calm down, and the demand drops. That will eventualy drop the price.
ehhh maybe pre ellection, i think the low end olys, and dpms were in the mid high 700s, now they are all sold out, and the same DPMS stink is going for $1200.

You can probably get a decent stag, SW, RRA, bushmaster for $1100 if your lucky, but good luck finding one one a shelf for more than 5 minutes.

that saiga i posted, it only went up about $40.

Which is fair, considering they have been going up since i first learned about them. Apparently the 7.62x39 were $200 guns not that long ago.
dec 2007-jan08 the .308 saigas were in the low $400, as in $399-420.

8 months later in the late summer they already went up $100, but they are all new, and were still cheaper than allot of lesser AKs.

That is if you dont mind the sporter stock, which can be swapped out at your leisure, and the mags. You can get nice highcap mags from surefire.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go AK.
Shotguns will always be around.

Yeah, you could wait to see if AKs go down..But that's what people said 4-5 months ago and are now whining because the AK they wanted to wait on to go down is now doubled in price and only going up.

My guess is any model AK will stay at this price level and probably even gradually increase even more for a good while until people see whats going to happen in the new administration. That could take a year, 2 years, 3 years who knows.

Shotguns will always be around in one form or another and be affordable.

I say get on the AK train now while it's still almost affordable or wait til God knows when on a chance that they might go back to their normal prices. :p

The Saiga .308 is a good idea!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would hold off on the shotgun for now, just so you have the money available if you run into a good deal on an AK. As for when you should buy one, that's a tough call. Especially since Obama will have the economic package through the Senate in the next week or so. I still think there are other things on his list ahead of a ban, but it's hard to guess.

If I were you I would pick out a few models you like, set a price of what you are willing to pay and do some searching. Atlantic, classicarms.us, peach state guns, etc. In the meantime I'd start buying mags and ammo.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good idea. A Saiga 12 is definitely on a no likey list if there is one.

I'm for sure one of the Saiga12 whiners that wish they would have picked one up a year or two ago. :-|

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, with a AWB on the way and no rifle. I say pick up an AR if money allows or the AK first. Or go with a semi auto shottie. At least get a shottie that will be listed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts