Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of different posts on here about this gun, but I still was curious if most of the 500 accessories (esp. from brownells) will fit the 88 or is that something specific I need to buy? Also is this a gun that is def. worth buying for a home defense gun or should I save the money and buy a 500, Remington 870, m4 etc.? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the H&R pardner security model, it is based off of the 870. Great gun and uses the 870 furniture, stock, forend.

I think the Mav 88 is a good gun as well, heard great things about it. I went with the H&R because I have a 870 28" barrelled version.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i bought my 500 it was cheap, now they are getting too expensive for my wallet. i've also considered an 88. but hesitant because i dont know about their overall reliability/reputation. not sure about the accessories.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know the 88 can accept the stock and forend of a 500. Most places that you buy them from can tell you if they will or not. A little google-ing will aid in that decision as well.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Mav88 took the heat shield, Blackhawk pistol grip, Blackhawk shell holder, picatinny rail, red dot + offset Streamlight Polytac 88850. The forend's do differ in length between the 88 and 500 so you cannot use the forend piece that is included with the Blackhawk kit.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great gun. There are some things that will and won't work. The safety is by the,trigger wich most like. As far as using a mossy fore end go. You need to buy the operating rods from a mossy to use after market fore ends on the mav . The reason is the mav has a one piece set up. Other than that any 500 part will fit a mav .

Hope that explains it. I'm a bit drunk right now.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks for all the help guys, i'm going to pick one up next week from Academy. Ill do some more research on a specific item, if I think they it needs anything, after I launch a few hundred rounds downrange that is.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked on the Maverick 88 at Wal-Mart today - $179.00. I'm looking really hard at it now. Got some birthday money I've been wanting to spend and at that price I could also afford the few accessories I want to add )Blackhawk adjustable stock, heat shield, ghost ring sights or a decent holo sight). Is it really just as good as the 500? I want it for HD, so it doesn't have to be a workhorse. Just very dependable.

Oh, does it happen to come with the breaching choke or will it even accept one?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think of it like a car. You either choose the decked out Lx with leather and power everything. But ur budget puts you in a Ex. Cloth and manual locks and Windows. Still a great car and the same at heart but a lil cheaper on the wallet .

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah . If ya hate it ill buy it for $150

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the maverick uses the same parts as the 500 with the exception of receiver and trigger group.
The receiver is engraved differently showing its a maverick 88 instead of mossberg 500 and the mill work for the tang safety..
The trigger group has a crossbar safety on the maverick instead of a tang safety on the 500.
otherwise, they are identical. Identical parts, Identical reliability, identical part numbers from the suppliers.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had one before I joined the Army, it was a great scattergun, and I never had any problems with it. In the Army they issued me a 500, and to be honest there was no big difference really, between the two.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the maverick uses the same parts as the 500 with the exception of receiver and trigger group.
The receiver is engraved differently showing its a maverick 88 instead of mossberg 500 and the mill work for the tang safety..
The trigger group has a crossbar safety on the maverick instead of a tang safety on the 500.
otherwise, they are identical. Identical parts, Identical reliability, identical part numbers from the suppliers.
Ill correct you. The mav88 parts are made in Mexico the assembled here in the U.S. 500 made and assembled here. Its been said the parts in the mav88 are of cheaper quality. But I disagree. Maybe to a point. The mav was gonna be my choice but a 870 popped up with a price I couldn't pass up. Still may get a mav88.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill correct you. The mav88 parts are made in Mexico the assembled here in the U.S. 500 made and assembled here. Its been said the parts in the mav88 are of cheaper quality. But I disagree. Maybe to a point. The mav was gonna be my choice but a 870 popped up with a price I couldn't pass up. Still may get a mav88.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Neither am I just posting what my research came up with when I was shopping for one.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally got to inspect a Maverick 88 today and I noticed that the one I looked at had no rails and wasn't tapped and pegged to add rails anywhere like the 500 is. I noticed Shepp3rd's photos earlier showed his 88 with a rail up top. Is that something that can be done at home or do you need a gunsmith? I really just want to add a rail on the back to mount a sight and maybe one under the barrel. Adding a gunsmith's services would really add to the price.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah you can. Just drill and tap for the rail t
You want

1 - 20 of 69 Posts