Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. wanting to take my shotgun deer hunting this season and didnt know what sort of choke i should use with slugs? never used a shotgun with slugs before so im a newbie. Just dont like how inneffective buck shot seems to me. i cant seem to pattern it any.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Most people use a smooth barrel.

The smooth barrel has no choke to it at all, which is best for slugs. If your barrel has chokes in the end of it you can change, you can get a cylinder choke for shooting slugs, or you can get a different barrel for it (like one with rifle sights on it). Buckshot isn't really good for deer anyways.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could get a rifled barrel, and shoot sabot slugs out of it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have shot slugs out of a modified choke in a remmy 870 with good accuracy to boot. But I agree with Deer Slayer. My deer gun is a Mossberg 695 with a fully rifled barrel. Add sabot slugs to that combo and its deer apocalypse.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too hunt deer with a shotgun (Remington 1100) and I use a 20" rifled barrel and sabot slugs. Besides the benefits already mentioned, a rifled barrel will usually give you rifle-style sights, which can help your sighting, and accuracy. And rifled barrels are readily available for Mossy and Remington guns, so you should have no trouble acquiring one. Once you do that, get some good sabot slugs (Remington, Lightfield, Federal are all good choices), sight it in, and you'll be good to go.

Good luck hunting this year!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd go modified or even improved. Also check out the federal truball slugs with it. They're cheap and we had really good results out of my gf's gun with the field barrel improved choke and a scope. Of coarse I've talked her into a cantilever barrel for this season which is the best option to me if your going to throw a scope or red dot on it, it's what I run on my mossy 500 20 ga.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cabela's has a rifled barrel for $130.

I'm pretty sure it has iron sights on it so you don't need a scope, but cabelas has a rifled barrel for $130 until tomorrow.

Item number: IK - 212148

Might want to call them to see, but it does have rifle sights in the description. 24" rifled barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts