Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a (first) winter of reloading with a MEC 28 ga. Sizemaster, I am finally learning the machine and coming up with consistent loads that I was reasonably happy with. I am loading 28ga., Alliant 20-28 powder, skeet size lead, 3/4oz. AA-HS hulls from factory loads that I reload after shooting. I notice my reloads are very slightly larger OD than the factory hulls and do not drop into the chamber quite like the factory loads that drop right in. My reloads are not difficult to insert, shoot fine and eject OK, but still require a gently push into the chamber. The hull is the issue, not the brass. Empty reloads drop right in, so hull
expansion from firing does not appear to be the culprit. Could the crimp station cause this? Is there a technique or remedy, or do I just have to suck it up?馃榿

I would guess it's because the Sizemaster doesn't put a radius on the crimped shell like the 9000 does but it's just a guess. I've never used a Sizemaster.

I reload 20 gauge on the 9000G and get a nice radius on the end but I reload .410 bore on a 600Jr which doesn't do the radius. I can see a difference when dropping the shells in my chambers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shoot a Remington 870 and a Browning (Winchester Model 12 reproduction) in 28 ga. The reloads cycle fine through the 870 but terrible through the Browning. No problem with break open guns.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to determine where the extra OD is with my Chinese caliper, but I suspect you're right in the radius being the culprit. I'll play with the crimper.

Registered
Getting rid of the "mushroom" on the HS hull is possible with the Sizemaster, it just takes more effort and patience, then a 9000. Start with as little pre crimp as possible, even leave a little hole after the final crimp. Now with the cam close up the hole which in turn puts the slight radius on the hull.

Steve

Registered
It's hard to determine where the extra OD is with my Chinese caliper, but I suspect you're right in the radius being the culprit. I'll play with the crimper.
On the final crimp station the cam adjustment at the top of the mechanism will allow you to put more or less of a radius on the top crimp edge. A cap screw to adjust the cam is there at the top.

Registered
I reload Fiochhi 28 hulls for my SKB600 on a Sizemaster. Some need just a gentle nudge to seat fully but none go "thunk" like new commercial stuff. I see most of my gun club buddies do the little push / seat frequently. Never saw it to cause a problem. Everything goes boom. Chootem' 馃憤

1 - 9 of 9 Posts