Shotgun Forums banner

Masking tape?????

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  cleboje 
#1 ·
So I've been shooting clays (sporting, 5 stand, some trap) for about a year and have improved greatly, but, I shoot well for one or two rounds and then go to hell for maybe two rounds. Range boss has been trying to help me but consistency seems to be out of my grasp....(I keep trying) Friday I start 19, 17 and then 2,4.....Range boss places a piece of masking tape on the left lens on my corrective shooting glasses and I go 23, 24, 23.....so I always knew I was left eye dominant, didn't know it would effect shooting like this.
My question is...how to overcome this?....masking tape?, any alternative?, don't believe I could transition to LH shooting. I do shoot with both eyes open for all shooting, pistol, rifle long range, and shotgun.....HELP!!!!

#2 ·
It is not unusual that a shooter has a dominant eye that is opposite their strong, shooting side. Since a shooter needs to have their eye aligned with the barrels many people use a small patch of cellophane tape on their shooting glasses that blocks the vision of their opposite eye. I’m unqualified to state if eye domination can change, but I’ve never heard of that happening. There are commercial versions of the tape idea that I’ve seen sold, but couldn’t tell you where. Precision pistol shooters, small bore rifle shooters use a blinder to block the opposite side, but maybe too clumsy for clay shooting.

You are not alone with this problem. Many shooters share it. Trap shooters have been dealing with it for at least 60 years that I’m aware of. Most just use Scotch Tape. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.