Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided my next firearm purchase is going to be a tactical shotgun. I have several handguns, an AR15, a .22 and now I feel the only thing missing is a shotgun.

Any of you have any good recommendations for me on one that I can trick out?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I really like my Saiga 12. It was fun to modify and a blast to shoot. I like shooting clay with it too :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up a Mossberg 590AI 20" and 930 SPX and have a JM Pro 24" on order-I think I've gone a little overboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Remington 870. Runs like a tank, many different versions, tons of accessories available. I have two, a Wingmaster and a Talo 18.5 inch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is what I like about shotguns. There are so many very good tactical/defense choices. Mossberg 590/500, Remington 870 are very good choices for pumps. They are reliable and have a universe of after-market upgrades/accessories to fit your needs. For SA I love my Benelli M3, but the Mossberg 930SPX is also an excellent (and much cheaper) choice.

Although I don't have one, the Saiga 12 seems to fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a Mossberg 930 SPX. Absolutely wonderful shotgun! Went through two boxes of cheap WalMart Federal 7 1/2 for a break in and narry a hiccup.

I just can't get away from my trusty 870 so I sold it off.

Reactions: charlie9280

·
Registered
65 Posts
im looking at the H&R parder pump protector 12ga. cheap but effective, it's an 870 clone so most aftermarket accessories will work and from i've read it can take some abuse

·
Registered
97 Posts

For tactical, and home defense use I'm currently running these 2 Mossberg's. One is a 500 "Combo Gun" that came with 2 barrels. The one shown is the 18" cylinder barrel, and the other is a 28" vented rib barrel choked with a Modified fixed choke. The other is a Mossberg 590 A-1 Mil-Spec that I just purchased last month.

Both are excellent shotguns for the price, and perform really well. The 590 A-1 Mil-Spec comes with a 9 shot capacity and a bayonet lug, along with a heavy walled barrel and a metal trigger group and safety switch. The gun is built like a tank, and functions flawlessly. For home defense I doubt you could not only find a better shotgun for the money, but find a better one period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tactical shotguns

If there is a police supply store near you and you can purchase there they have tons of trade ins from departments. Most are dumping their shotguns for M-4 rifles.
You can get a really good Remington 870 for around $225.00

·
Registered
5 Posts
M4 Super 90.. and a Super Nova.. and a new 870 with the magpul stock and a surefire fore end light.. and a AK style 12 gauge.. and you will need a double barrel.. and then and over under.. and everyone should have an ugly one rounder of some kind, call it your rescue!

If I left any out I am sorry!

Oops! a 590a1 with 9 rounds and bayonet! How could I forget the bread and butter of American shot guns?

I guess what I am trying to say is.. at 600 - 700 - 800 grains and 1500fps.. no matter which 12 gauge you choose it will be tactical enough to knock down anything you point it at.. including the 1 shot rescue gun! you picked up for $20 bucks and a sixer!

Good Luck! and no matter which you choose first (becuase you will end up with more, the BOOM STICKS have NO! Equal! "at close range").

·
Registered
5 Posts

For tactical, and home defense use I'm currently running these 2 Mossberg's. One is a 500 "Combo Gun" that came with 2 barrels. The one shown is the 18" cylinder barrel, and the other is a 28" vented rib barrel choked with a Modified fixed choke. The other is a Mossberg 590 A-1 Mil-Spec that I just purchased last month.

Both are excellent shotguns for the price, and perform really well. The 590 A-1 Mil-Spec comes with a 9 shot capacity and a bayonet lug, along with a heavy walled barrel and a metal trigger group and safety switch. The gun is built like a tank, and functions flawlessly. For home defense I doubt you could not only find a better shotgun for the money, but find a better one period.
you see how the little kids in the ghetto leave the tags on their hats..

well you can tell REAL! country folk becuase they leave the Mossberg Sticker on their shot gun!:p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Remington sells a "tactical" version of their 870, which is pretty cool. I don't like the sights that come with it, and have no need for that breacher muzzle device, but it certainly looks mean. I'll bet you could thump someone with it on the forehead and they wouldn't get up anytime soon.

I like the plain jane remington 870 because it is a blank canvas to which only your imagination and your wallet are your limitations. Plus, I think the pump action on the 870 sounds the meanest. Maybe it's just my ears. But I have an old Winchester 1300 Defender (not that Turkish made thing) thing that sounds different, probably because of that rotating bolt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I narrowed it down to a Supernova Tactical. Love the desert camo look, but none are in stock in NJ.
NJ you can only have a pump with a pistol grip. Auto and pistol grip are a no-no.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts