Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible?

A friend of mine wants to get a 590, but use it for both home defense and sport shooting, so he was looking to get a longer barrel for it. Is that even possible with the extended mag tube?

He has been getting conflicting answers so far, so I figured I would try to help him out by asking you guys.

Also, are the stock and forearm interchangeable with the 500? He is looking to get a wood stock set for it as well. While I understand that he could just get a 500 and be done with it, he is an odd ball and is very specific as to what he wants.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had called Mossberg about mine. I have the 9 shot tube. I wanted to get a barrel with chokes instead of cylinder bore. They told me I would have to get the smaller magazine and spring in order to put on a different barrel.

I decided that the cost wasn't really worth it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get 2 different shotguns.

While it's doable, and pretty easy to make a custom barrel to go on a 590, I'd rather just have 2 shotguns. By the time he buys wood furniture, a barrel, and has it modded to fit the 590, he probably could have just bought a mossberg 500 for sporting, and keep the 590 as a HD gun.

A good gunsmith can pop the mounting lug off and braze/solder it back on further down the barrel. Then it would need refinishing. All for what, so he can have a high capacity sporting gun? It's not legal to hunt birds with more than 3 rds anyways, and I can't imagine a situation where you'd need 9 shots! Tell him to get 2 guns and be done with it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure, but I wanted to verify that info with other first. I think I might just nudge him towards a Benelli SuperNova with a 24 in barrel. He will end up shooting clays more than anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.