Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post so hello everybody. So I was playing with dummy rounds in my FN SLP, which normally takes 8 + 1 rounds. So I loaded it with 8 shells, with nothing in the chamber. I noticed I could fit another 2 rounds in the shotgun:
1 in the loading port (I don't know what it is formally called, it's the space below the chamber that accepts a round from the tube), and 1 in the chamber. Therefore, it became 8+2 rounds.

Is there a reason why this would be exceptionally dangerous with actual rounds, maybe something about overpressure? Or a reason why perhaps it could destroy something, maybe idk (I actually don't know) like the extractor or something?

P.S. I put this in shotgun reloading, because technically, it is reloading.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi this is my first post so hello everybody. So I was playing with dummy rounds in my FN SLP, which normally takes 8 + 1 rounds. So I loaded it with 8 shells, with nothing in the chamber. I noticed I could fit another 2 rounds in the shotgun:
1 in the loading port (I don't know what it is formally called, it's the space below the chamber that accepts a round from the tube), and 1 in the chamber. Therefore, it became 8+2 rounds.

Is there a reason why this would be exceptionally dangerous with actual rounds, maybe something about overpressure? Or a reason why perhaps it could destroy something, maybe idk (I actually don't know) like the extractor or something?

P.S. I put this in shotgun reloading, because technically, it is reloading.
Reloading is for taking spent shells, resizing, putting in new primer, powder, wad, shot, and then crimping.

It is not tactics or 3 gun type quick reloading of the magazine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome!

It is called "ghost loading" and is possible with several (not all) semi auto designs without any danger of harming anything. It is a technique used to get an extra shell available before having to reload.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
You do need to see how that works with your gun as it might try to feed one from the tube besides the one sitting on the carrier; if it does, it could jam your gun very nicely. One way to find out..............

And WELCOME from Florida1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reloading is for taking spent shells, resizing, putting in new primer, powder, wad, shot, and then crimping.

It is not tactics or 3 gun type quick reloading of the magazine.
I apologize, is there a way to change the subject?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Since you have the answer to your question; maybe it is not necessary to change the subject?
Ok, H2O told me it was the incorrect subject, but ok Óyeme, te oigo ;-). Thank you for your response, I didn't know it was a common thing. Maybe I'll try it, I was afraid the shotgun would blow up or something.

·
975 Posts
It's okay, Voltaire, you did the right thing by asking. You may end up with a jam, but that's not too big a deal...usually.

I did have a friend who jammed up his Model 42 .410 badly enough he had to take it to a gunsmith, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts