Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting trap a couple years ago and while I have improved some, but I still think I should be shooting better. I have shot right handed all my life but know that I am left eye dominate. I am considering trying to shoot left handed to see if that helps.

Has anyone on the board switched sides because of eye dominance and did you see an improvement, how long did it take to get used to shooting from the opposite side? I am planning on trying it this week and we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same boat, my problem is all my guns are right handed. Let me no how it goes . Wish you well

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
With some due diligence you should be able to do better in a few weeks to a few months. You can jump start the process by practicing your mount in front of a mirror - a lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
i am left eye d' and right handed. i shoot from my left shoulder. never an issue. heck, won numerous world titles with it.

Reactions: Muleco

·
Registered
37 Posts
Moonlight,

If you find it difficult to switch sides you can try an old trick used for decades by many shooters in the same position. Add a very small amount of Scotch tape on the surface of the left lens of your shooting glasses in line with the eye. The idea is to obscure the left eye and keep the right clear. It works for some shooters. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shot the first 2 rounds of the season last night. The first was right handed and hit 19, about my average. The second round it was just my shooting partner and I so I tried left handed and hit 8. Most of the misses I think I can blame mechanics of my swing whether the bird went to the right or left (it was the first time I had ever shot left handed). I hit most of them that went straight away. I think I had enough success to keep trying and start working on the mechanics of my swing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hopefully shooting off the left side can work out for you. If not, as you likely know, there are several different approaches to try to address the issue. I used to shoot with a small piece of tape (a dot) on my left lens but have now gone to the approach shown in the picture, and it’s working well for me. This is my home made version of product called SP Eye Dominance (you can google it). I was very skeptical, but It cost nothing to try a home made version.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hopefully shooting off the left side can work out for you. If not, as you likely know, there are several different approaches to try to address the issue. I used to shoot with a small piece of tape (a dot) on my left lens but have now gone to the approach shown in the picture, and it’s working well for me. This is my home made version of product called SP Eye Dominance (you can google it). I was very skeptical, but It cost nothing to try a home made version. View attachment 14408
About how long did it take you to adapt to that ?

I spent one entire year trying to shoot two eyes. I went a long time using a champion easy hit. It’s a fiber optic in a tube that only the right eye can see . I had mediocre days and bad days with it .

My shooting buddy is an optometrist and I showed him the sp eye dominance video. He thought it was worth a try and in theory it should work . Thank you for posting this .

Right now my left lens has a dot on it. I feel like I never see the bird very well .

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me it was basically instantly successful. Once I installed it I went into my garage with a high ceiling and did gun mounts with both eyes open and pointing across the garage at a ceiling corner. After mounting with both eyes open and pointing at the corner, I closed my left eye to check my point with right eye only. I was right on every time. So off to the range and it simply works for me.
Pictured is a homemade test version. I clipped the head, plus about 1/4” for a good sized sticking surface, off a black zip tie and attached it with a piece of 3M Scotch Extremely Strong mounting tape. It is staying on solid as a rock. It’s completely unobtrusive and I never even think about it. I suspect it works for some and maybe not so much for others depending on their individual visual issues. But it costs next to nothing to try and for me is the best possible solution. Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me it was basically instantly successful. Once I installed it I went into my garage with a high ceiling and did gun mounts with both eyes open and pointing across the garage at a ceiling corner. After mounting with both eyes open and pointing at the corner, I closed my left eye to check my point with right eye only. I was right on every time. So off to the range and it simply works for me.
Pictured is a homemade test version. I clipped the head, plus about 1/4” for a good sized sticking surface, off a black zip tie and attached it with a piece of 3M Scotch Extremely Strong mounting tape. It is staying on solid as a rock. It’s completely unobtrusive and I never even think about it. I suspect it works for some and maybe not so much for others depending on their individual visual issues. But it costs next to nothing to try and for me is the best possible solution. Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.
Can you give us a close up of the home version? Not sure how you attached it with the tape. So it won't come off in your gun case?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here you go. I think I put the black electricians tape on because I knew the Extra Strong mounting tape might be difficult to remove from the barrel if I wanted to remove it. Anyways, the mounting tape is Firmly adhered to the electricians tape . . nothing is going anywhere. My gun is stored in a hard tightly foam lined long-gun case. I was concerned the foam pressing on the device in the case might be a problem, but it isn’t at all.

17A241B3-0C32-4DBE-B7AC-DC6EB91430CD.jpeg
E0B1C116-894A-43F2-87BA-CA517BF7D07F.jpeg
17A241B3-0C32-4DBE-B7AC-DC6EB91430CD.jpeg E0B1C116-894A-43F2-87BA-CA517BF7D07F.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here you go. I think I put the black electricians tape on because I knew the Extra Strong mounting tape might be difficult to remove from the barrel if I wanted to remove it. Anyways, the mounting tape is Firmly adhered to the electricians tape . . nothing is going anywhere. My gun is stored in a hard tightly foam lined long-gun case. I was concerned the foam pressing on the device in the case might be a problem, but it isn’t at all.

View attachment 14420 View attachment 14421 View attachment 14420 View attachment 14421 View attachment 14420 View attachment 14421
Thank you, very nice. So the electricians tape goes almost around both barrels? I'm going to give it a try

·
Registered
119 Posts

View attachment 14420 View attachment 14421 View attachment 14420 View attachment 14421 View attachment 14420 View attachment 14421
Thank you so much ! I gotta try this .

·
Registered
119 Posts
No I have not tried it yet. I've been changing too many things at one time. I need to reset to my default style for a little bit to reestablish my baseline. I do plan on trying it. When I tried it in my basement, it seemed like it worked. I'm not sure if that is because my target poa is so close. I need to try it at a distance to see if it changes.

·
913 Posts
No I have not tried it yet. I've been changing too many things at one time. I need to reset to my default style for a little bit to reestablish my baseline. I do plan on trying it. When I tried it in my basement, it seemed like it worked. I'm not sure if that is because my target poa is so close. I need to try it at a distance to see if it changes.
Speaking as a pretty good Electronics troubleshooter, only change one thing at a time and then evaluate thoroughly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts