Shotgun Forums banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
LC Smith Build--The Back Tang Hole Drilled Through

Hey All
First the tangs are placed in their proper places in the rough inlet, and the holes top and bottom are marked in place through the plates. Then a pencil mark is drawn all around the wrist circumference of the stock through the two hole locations. A drill a few thousandths larger than the major diameter of the 8 x 32 tang screw is mounted in the Jacobs chuck (.168). Then in picture #1, the penciled line is picked up with a square and the stock shifted in the vise until the drill is aligned correctly. The hole is drilled halfway through the wood from the top side of the wood, picture #2. This same process is repeated from the bottom side of the stock, the line is squared picture #3, and the picture #4, the hole is drilled halfway through to meet the other started hole. If we have done our homework, and properly laid the holes out spot on, the two holes will meet nearly perfectly. The back thumbscrew will slide through the wood and the threads will smoothly engage those in the top tang, picture #5.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Cloud Wood Sky Rectangle Floor Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Wood Rim Bumper Automotive wheel system Wood Tool Household hardware Hardwood Metal

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
LC Smith Build--Trigger Plate is In, Final Fit to Do

Hey All.
Saturday dawned windy here on the Snake River Plain. I forwent hanging the chicken wire on the Chicken Hilton run until we get a day when the wire isn't flopping around quite so much. I moved to the shop and worked on the project instead. Here in picture #1 and #2 the trigger plate is a few 1/64 inch from seated. I will run the rear thumbscrew through the top and bottom tangs and the back pillar block, then file in a flat on the extended threads to mark the distance when both tangs are seated correctly down on the block. Then I need just soot both tangs and scrape in the high spots till she bottoms. This was one of the more difficult inlets to do, there is a lot of fits going on all at once. I took my time and kept thinking it out as things progressed, and I got a good inlet. No gaps to speak of, and the stock is mounted right and tight, with the drop at heel spot on. Today I ordered the trigger guard. Gunparts had it much cheaper than anything I could find online, we will see about condition, vintage, etc. when it arrives. I need the trigger guard now to continue the stock grip profile as it approaches the grip cap. I also had them throw in the safety push rod, a little early in the build for that part, but I need it to notch the front pillar block to clear. Then I think we are ready to drill for the front and rear pillar blocks and Acraglas them in place.

Wood Automotive exterior Metal Bumper Fashion accessory Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Shotgun

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
LC Smith Build--The Triggerguard has Arrived

Hey All
Gunpartscorp got the triggerguard shipped right out it arrived Friday last. This unit is not for everybody, but for my build it is perfect. This is new old stock, was originally in the white, now is a nice rusty shade of brown. This is the forging as it would have been supplied to the assembly line. It is not serial numbered, not finished, and I do not believe it is hardened, if indeed they were. I will finish it out along with the rest of the shotgun when the time comes and put the appropriate finish to it, either case colors or rust blue. For now it serves the purpose, providing me with the appropriate profile for the grip as it approaches the grip cap. From there I will be working off of a general assortment of pictures to get the distances and angles right.

Wood Metal Tail Hardwood Electric blue Snake Reptile Wood Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Wood Reptile Snake Tail Beige Tie Wood Grey Collar Beige Eyewear Wood Table Bag Wood stain

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
LC Smith Build--Fitting up the Trigger Guard and Roughing in the Grip Profile

Hey All
Mrs. 4575wcf and I went down with a cold this week. I brought it home from work, it dropped into our lungs, and we spent a few miserable days. By Sunday though we were up and around and got our fruit trees sprayed, and I was able to get a few hours in on the project.
The new trigger guard threaded into the trigger plate, and threaded up tight clocked out at about 4:00 in the right direction. See Picture #1. By marking the plate where the trigger guard bears on the plate at the screw with a black sharpie and then screwing the guard up tight, a small bearing spot will appear. See Pictures #2 and #3. Removing just this bearing spot a bit at a time brings the guard in time where it should be, Picture #4 absolutely tight on the screw and lined up to drop into the trigger guard tang inlet. Next the grip profile of the stock is cut down and roughed in until the guard bears at the grip in it's relaxed position, Picture #6, versus pulled up tight to the rear of the trigger plate, Picture #5. Monday morning we will set the stock up in the mill and machine cut the preliminary inlet in for the guard tang.

Wood Tool Hand tool Artifact Antique tool Wood Household hardware Close-up Electric blue Metal Wood Sleeve Grey Collar Bag Sleeve Wood Natural material Metal Electric blue Wood Sleeve Jewellery Shotgun Fashion accessory Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
LC Smith Build--Trigger Guard Tang Inlet Continued

Hey All
Monday Morning I arrived back at work early, still a bit under the weather, but up and going at any rate. I set the stock up in the mill, and rocked it forward and back as I made the mill cuts. The trigger guard tang measures at .480 wide at the widest point so I used a 7/16 end mill, removing wood within the scribed lines and cutting down a bit deeper in the center to allow for the curve. I stayed just a bit above the estimated bottom surface to allow material for the final fit. See Picture #1, Then I installed a small brass screw with a head just large enough to catch the countersink in the guard. See Picture #2. Next up I will soot up the tang and pull it in place with this small screw, spotting in and improving the fit as it sinks. See Picture #3. The correct sized wood screw will be somewhat larger to get a fresh bite in the wood when the fitting is complete, and the guard tang is sunk flush with the trigger plate. Then the grip profile can be worked down to leave the usual .06 or so wood proud of the inlet as we continue profiling along the grip curve to the lower point of the grip where the grip cap will go on. By using the original curve of the trigger guard as a guide, we will be getting a close approximation of the correct grip profile of the LC Smith FW stock at this point.

Wood Gesture Hand tool Tints and shades Tool Sleeve Wood Hardwood Electric blue Knife Wood Textile Sleeve Natural material Collar

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Hey All
Figured I better give an update, I have been lax in my posting progress as of late. I am currently moving the gunsmithing bench/vises/etc. to the NW corner of the my shop, I gotta finish and insulate that wall prior to mounting the bench, shelves, etc. Tackling the mess and getting my machine tools out of mothballs, repaired, and set up is coming up on the agenda with retirement looming. In the meantime we got to make up some temporary living quarters in the front of the shop prior to starting the demo on the old house. Once building the new house becomes my full time gig, I'll relax in my spare time working on the project. A bit off topic, but I did score lock plate #1, right hand side for the 1899 Lefever, Uncle Dan Lefever's compensated action. Probably #3 on the build list, that one is a ways out, but I pick up a part now and again for the frames on deck as they come available at good prices. Forging and drilling chopper lump barrels for the LC is my next HUGE home project and I am deeply into the research. I am fully qualified and capable, and I got the plan, but it is going to get VERY involved.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
LC Smith Build--Sinking the Trigger Guard Tang

Hey All
Getting back to the build after a hiatus brought on by Covid 19 shortages. Still I am unable to lay in any Brownell's Acraglas, the product seems to be out of stock everywhere. I have been reduced to getting on Brownell's alert list when the product becomes available again. I am curbing my natural impatience with the situation and moving forward with the parts of the build that I can continue with in the interim. Today the weather was windy and wet here on the Snake River Plain, with not much chance to begin construction on the new pumphouse, so I holed up in the shop and worked on the project instead. The last work I did on the project, where I left off, was to fly cut the buttstock end of the pipe clamp fixture to match the 6 1/2 degree negative pitch of the finished stock. See Picture #1. Once the seasoning checks in the butt are glassed up the stock will be gradually shortened and this fit improved until the length of pull measures exactly 14 inches, butt plate included. Since I now have the guard fitted, the front trigger is obviously sitting about 3/16 inch too far back; I will need to remove a bit of material from the bearing surfaces of the trigger and swing it forward in the trigger plate an appropriate amount and lock it up there. The fitting of the front trigger in regards to length of pull is important, there can be no crowding between the two triggers. You will remember that this was an issue with these triggers in the original plate. In Pictures #2, 3, and 4 the progression of the trigger guard tang inlet is shown as it sinks. The curved underside of the trigger guard tang is something less than 1/16" from bearing on the offset end of the trigger plate now, both surfaces are designed to give a nice blend where the guard enters the wood behind the plate. As the tang sinks, we are removing the proud wood down to 1/16 and carrying the grip profile down and back where the grip cap flat will eventually be. The remnants of the seasoning crack under the grip cap will need glassed up also before we can make the cut for this flat. Patience. . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
LC Smith Build--The Triggerguard has Arrived

Hey All
Gunpartscorp got the triggerguard shipped right out it arrived Friday last. This unit is not for everybody, but for my build it is perfect. This is new old stock, was originally in the white, now is a nice rusty shade of brown. This is the forging as it would have been supplied to the assembly line. It is not serial numbered, not finished, and I do not believe it is hardened, if indeed they were. I will finish it out along with the rest of the shotgun when the time comes and put the appropriate finish to it, either case colors or rust blue. For now it serves the purpose, providing me with the appropriate profile for the grip as it approaches the grip cap. From there I will be working off of a general assortment of pictures to get the distances and angles right.

View attachment 14309 View attachment 14310 View attachment 14311 View attachment 14312 View attachment 14313
I would think rust blue would be appropriate. Never seen a case colored one on an LC Smith but maybe they made a few. I am really enjoying your project so please keep posting.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Hey All
The build is alive and well, but we are still held up on the Acraglas. The Covid scare has the stuff absolutely sold out everywhere. I am currently in contact with a long bow makers forum and have got some leads on other glues. The general consensus about substitutes for Original Acraglas is that there are not any, and the thought of not getting a good hidden bond on the seasoning cracks before I get the butt plate and grip cap fitted and having to go back in gives me hives.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Hey All
Back after a sizeable hiatus. Mid South finally got in some Red Box Acraglas, honored my backorder, and the product is in transit. As difficult as it is for me to remain on task for so long with one project, this delay did NOT help. Fortunately I have not strayed too far from center. I am starting the new septic system install here in a short while, a huge project, but otherwise hope to keep the build going in some small ways until winter when I will have a bit more time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Thank you oyeme and philellis2710 for your support. Full retirement is looming in Feb '22, as of right now I already have more time at home than ever before. Getting on a routine schedule, getting the various parts and projects together, getting the business FFL, all must coincide with getting the shop up and going. Too much to do! : ).

·
Registered
120 Posts
From what you have already accomplished, I am confident it will be done right and perform properly. Can't wait to see the steps furthering this project.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Midsouth delivered on the Red Box Acraglas, yes the stuff does actually still exist. Mrs. 4575wcf and myself are four feet deep (literally) in the septic dig for the new house, about half the drain field will be dug by the end of today. Once the dust settles, it's back in the shop fighting the good fight trying to get caught up. I sincerely hope the Delta variant of the COVID turns into a flash in the pan and we can be done with this, but coming into the fall/winter months I am something less than hopeful.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Bringing an update. The septic system is dug, all 1200 square feet of drain field, and the initial 6" of drain rock is laid into the first two of four trenches. We rounded up the pipe and supplies. I have completed the trench from the distribution box to the septic tank dig. Next up is the septic tank dig itself, 12 1/2 feet by 7 3/4 feet by 3 1/2 feet deeper than the tank outlet. Then to get the tank delivered, everything piped and fitted up, get an open drainage test done for the inspector, and then we can begin filling the dig back in. Big, big job but getting it done. . . Then back in the shop for the winter and get a bit of gunsmithing going again.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts