Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I came home and unloaded the shotgun, cleaned it, and put it up.

I bought a shotgun for home defense a couple of years ago (a 870 pump) and was wondering how long the spring in the tubular magazine will keep its strength while always being fully loaded (a 3" in the chamber and 2 3/4"s in the magazine).

I am sure that it will need to be replaced. Can it last for 5 years or am I dreaming?

Should I recycle the shells from time to time?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
About once a month cycle the full mag. through. When it stops feeding properly you will probably be passed to a "better place" .If ,however, you should encounter a problem down the road THEN you should replace the spring. I don't mean to be flip,but the spring will probably outlast all of us. Springs are inexpensive so, if it makes you feel better buy a spare and keep it in your warbag.Nick

·
Registered
98 Posts
How often do you replace the springs on your car ?

If they're any good your mag spring will be just fine. If they're substandard , you'll know soon enough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How often do you replace the springs on your car ?
Actually, I do have two cars that require spring changes. Here is one (OK, it's a modified strut):

The other:

I have also changed the recoil spring in one of my 1911's after several hundred rounds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Changing a stock spring, for a better after market one doesn't count.

REALLY , a couple hundred? ? ? OCD ?

I've got 5 guns pistols, SG ,& rifles with , who knows how many thousand rounds down the pipe. NEVER changed a spring yet.

ETA more than 5 , 2 ak47's Ruger SR9 , Glock 17 , AR15 , Mossburge 930(spring change for longer tube when new) , MKA 1919

·
Registered
27 Posts
I swap small springs every couple years in my handguns and most of my rifles, not necessary though. Mag springs do not really get a 'set' like I used to think.

I've found mags that were loaded for years and they shoot perfect. Just keep it loaded up and test it out once in a while to make sure it's still working, but I doubt you will have issues until a very long time has passed. Often, I will leave one round out but again, not really necessary. so my 8+1 590 usually sits with 7 rounds in the tube.

besides, mag follower springs are pretty damn cheap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts