Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of reading from various books and internet sources, watching various videos, and waiting for the right time, I bought my first shotgun.

I ended up going with the Remington 870 Express Tactical with the door breech, factory mag extension, and ghost ring sights. Can't wait to shoot it. Anything I should be aware of about this particular model? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only problem i have had with my 870 express is the key for the saftey. It breaks off and your fukt unless you buy a new one. and hope to god you can get the piece out of the hole.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just one question--why the breaching attachment?

Seriously--do you plan on taking some doors down soon?:rolleyes:
Honestly, I had watched a video on youtube where someone was setting one up an 870 for HD and this was their base model. He made 3 valid points for the breach, 1 was for doors, 1 was for glass, 1 was for if you were out of ammo or very close its serrated edge could be used as a weapon. I know its a stretch, but I thought it was cool. Also, my gun store had 2 models of the express tactical, one was a base model with a bead sight, the other was the one I chose. I preferred the ghost ring with dove tail front as my starting point, so the breach was a bonus depending on point of view.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This was pulled from Remington's website for ease...

I didn't shop around. I bought this in PA, and prefer to do business with this shop as each time in I have had a good experience, and its also my primary range. Out the door it was 481.99. 449 prior to tax/backround fees. I know I probably could've bought it cheaper, but I'm alright with what I paid.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't shop around. I bought this in PA, and prefer to do business with this shop as each time in I have had a good experience, and its also my primary range. Out the door it was 481.99. 449 prior to tax/backround fees. I know I probably could've bought it cheaper, but I'm alright with what I paid.
I bought the same model in 5/2009 and that price was the same I paid for it. You could get it cheaper from Bud's, but I don't have a problem with supporting your local guy.

Get the Remington SuperCell buttpad. Your shoulder will thank you. Be careful if you buy a sling. Because the sling swivel is out on the extension, a standard sling will be too short.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the exact shotty I want to get - or the mossy equivalent. Either one - as long as it has the mag tube extension (prefer 7-8 round capacity), ghost ring sights, and synthetic stock. The breach attachment I can do without, but if it comes with, cool too.

Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure how I want to handle the weapon...I am gonna give it a shot as is, but have read a lot about the knoxx recoil reduction stock and like it a lot...I also want to get rid of the white dot dove tail front sight for at least a fiber optic if not night sight. I plan on possibly getting a side saddle, and will probably will pick up a scabbard for transport/storage.

A question for those who hunt...while I have the HD end covered, what type of barrel should I be looking into if I wanted cover a broad spectrum of game?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly, I had watched a video on youtube where someone was setting one up an 870 for HD and this was their base model. He made 3 valid points for the breach, 1 was for doors, 1 was for glass, 1 was for if you were out of ammo or very close its serrated edge could be used as a weapon. I know its a stretch, but I thought it was cool. Also, my gun store had 2 models of the express tactical, one was a base model with a bead sight, the other was the one I chose. I preferred the ghost ring with dove tail front as my starting point, so the breach was a bonus depending on point of view.
pfff...590A1 would've been better!

shotgun bayonet.

SHOTGUN BAYONET.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thedan -

That's the one I got! It's a pretty stellar gun, and the versatility is pretty amazing.

Regarding the breacher choke, it spreads the buckshot quite well, perfect for close range. Funny enough, I also found it's quite good for shooting clays. Careful if you use a soft case or get careless removing it - it bites. Great if you run out of ammo I suppose :D

If you're looking to put a different stock on there, I highly recommend the Remington Shurshot, which has their Supercell pad on it. I know it's marketed for hunters, but myself and quite a few others love how it handles and have it on our HD guns. Personally I'm not a fan of the Knoxx stocks - you really should try one before dropping the cash for it. My 2 cents :)

As for the barrels - if you pick up a cylinder choke you can shoot slugs to 100 yards without too much difficulty - IF you don't mind the ghost ring/dot setup for precision. Again, a preference thing. Congrats!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts