Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up my new Mossberg 930 SPX (Blackwater Edition). I plan to use it for home defense with 2 3/4" Federal 00 Buck (Vital-Shock w/FlightControl).
However, when it comes to breaking it in and target shooting I'm curious what you guys recommend. From what I read searching back on the forums it looks like it's better to run a heavier load, but I am going to show my ignorance here when I say I don't really know what that means. :(
I'm thinking it would be a little cost prohibitive to shoot a few hundred rds. of 00 Buck.

Also, are there any ammo's to avoid? I'm guessing I can pretty much shoot anything and everything in it, but some will cycle the action better than others.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would start out with birdshot. That's what I have always done to break in a new gun and get used to the feel and function of it. Then after running 100 or so rounds through it start using different 00 buck loads and then do a pattern test to see which will pattern with your gun.

Before you shoot though I would break it down and go over it looking for any burrs, etc and clean it good.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start out with birdshot. That's what I have always done to break in a new gun and get used to the feel and function of it. Then after running 100 or so rounds through it start using different 00 buck loads and then do a pattern test to see which will pattern with your gun.

Before you shoot though I would break it down and go over it looking for any burrs, etc and clean it good.
Thanks for the tip about breaking it down. Wow, it was pretty dirty with lots of metal shavings.
I'll pick up some birdshot tomorrow and see how it goes.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every single auto loading shotgun I have owned or friends have owned were best off broken in hard.

If you get birdshot at a minimum get 1 1/4oz with 3 3/4 dram eq. Fr the first 10 rounds I would actually get the heaviest fastest buckshot load you can get. It might cost a little more but it will be well worth it down the road. At a minimum 10 rounds of the hardest hitting magnum buckshot you can find followed by 50 rounds of that heavier birdshot. Avoid the lighter 3 1/4 dram eq.

After that give it a good cleaning then move on to lighter loads. They will cycle better.

Break her in hard. It won't hurt the gun in the slightest.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I(and everybody else I know) breaks in a semi-auto with heavy shot. I used 3" 000 buck on my for 50 rounds then 2.75" 00 high-brass for 50. I mainly use those, because that is what I keep on hand. Mine eats everything with no issues. I have run #9 1-1/8 oz up to 3" slug factory loads. It also cycles the 2.5" shells I load for practice.

Tear it down and clean it well before you use it. Mine had a ton of grease in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.