Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
I doubt that there is a best that covers every eventuality, but 00 buck will definitely get it done. It's what I have in my 12 gauge at home.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'm using #4 buck because that is what I have available in 16ga. I have plenty of faith in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
00 is my choice. It will disable any intruder with less concern about penetrating through the bad guy than a slug.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Iffen I was to use a shotgun for home defense it would be loaded with #4 turkey loads. Inside a house it will kill just as dead as buckshot. Buckshot will penetrate sheetrock walls like a knife through hot butter. BTW I once killed a wild hog with #4's at about 20 yards. At the shot fell and never moved.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Even #6 shot is deadly at the distances you are likely to have for shots inside a home. At 30 t0 40 feet the pattern from most chokes is going to be in the neighborhood of 15 inches max. Most people won't have 30 to 40 foot shots inside their homes...probably more like 20 feet max. How big are the rooms in your house? At 20 feet catching an intruder with a full load of #6s will stop him dead in his tracks un less he is wearing body armor and even then he will be mighty slow getting up. You on the other hand will probably picking you gun up off the floor where you dropped it because you were not expecting the blast that shooting a shotgun inside a house generates. I recommend that anyone who is planning home protection with a firearm find a place with a home sized room to test fire their weapon so that they are prepared for the blast.

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
You're right about distances in most houses, but I've measured mine and my longest possible indoor shot is 15 yards and this isn't a huge house by any means, just an average size 3 bedroom, 2 bath.

I arm myself accordingly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Definitely don't need 00 buck if you are only shooting down a hallway or inside a room...7.5 shot and an open cylinder choke will sweep anything bad at that short range...

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Definitely don't need 00 buck if you are only shooting down a hallway or inside a room...7.5 shot and an open cylinder choke will sweep anything bad at that short range...
I would not bet my life on shot that small. Penetration is what stops BG's, and 7-1/2 has little penetrating power. I've shot rabbits at 15ft with 7-1/2's and no pellets went in more than an inch in muscle tissue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you know where you will shoot, just lock that door and get back to sleep. However if you dont know, who, where or what the be PREPARED. Load some power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
However, 00 buck is more likely to overpenetrate and pass through walls into an adjacent room...like where a child could be sleeping. Trust me, 7.5 shot at 15 feet is really gonna deliver an attitude adjustment to a perp!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You're right about distances in most houses, but I've measured mine and my longest possible indoor shot is 15 yards and this isn't a huge house by any means, just an average size 3 bedroom, 2 bath.

I arm myself accordingly.
Well at 15 yards, you are likely to get at least 4 or 5 of the 9 00 buckshot to hit the perp. That is equivalent to 5 or 5 shots from a 30/30. If he is not dead when he hits the floor, he will be shortly.

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
Well at 15 yards, you are likely to get at least 4 or 5 of the 9 00 buckshot to hit the perp. That is equivalent to 5 or 5 shots from a 30/30. If he is not dead when he hits the floor, he will be shortly.
Probably more like 9 of them will hit a perp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts