Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Army Special Forces are going to have a Green Beret commander, Lt. Gen. Bryan Fenton, and the Marine Corps is going to have a second four star general, Lt. Gen. Michael Langley.
Gen. Langley will get a 4th star along with this command appointment and though the article doesn't say if Gen. Fenton will get a 4th star with his command appointment but if not it will definitely pave the way.
Both of these generals are very experienced, remarkably intelligent, and highly qualified and their appointments may indicate a change of direction for both services in regards to special operation strategies and tactics.
It's been quite a while since Army Special Forces had a commander that was also Special Forces so I imagine this will benefit them as a group and no doubt enhance their performance even more.
The Marine Corps usually has only one four star general at a time; the Commandant, so this is big news in the Corps. While a lot is being made of Gen Langley being black to me the fact that he has achieved four star rank in the Corps which puts him up there with the Commandant is what I find really impressive and interesting.
I once ate lunch with General Lew Walt, a legend in the Marine Corps, and the first four star assistant Commandant.
No, it wasn't because I was singled out for being special or anything. He was on an inspection tour and just happened to walk into our mess hall and sit down at our table which made me and the other 3 Marines sitting there rather nervous and I can only imagine how it affected the cooks :) but the brief time we spend talking with him was quite interesting and is a special memory of mine.
Anyway salutes and huge congrats to these two gentlemen.

Another military related development which unfortunately isn't a good thing. :( I sent what little I could afford to get this gentleman a new roof. For a member of the Code Talkers and fellow Marine it's the least I could do.
I've been through the Navajo-Hopi Rez area more times than I can count. It's an amazing landscape and one of my favorite places to ride a motorcycle.
Anybody who has ever been there can easily understand how John Ford fell in love with the place and the Dine, the people.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
I tried to stay away from Generals as much as possible, but due to my infamy with my C.O. as a Tennis Player, I got asked (sure) if I would play a set with Brigadier General Samson, the head of the Chaplain Corps in 1968 and a Catholic Priest. I was taking it easy on him in warm up and he said "I can see you're taking it easy, I want you to beat me as bad as you can."

So I did. 6-0, 6-0

I was State Champion in High School one year and played 1st Singles in both High School and College. He was just a guy who liked to play tennis with people that were better than him at it.

He was a great guy and you'd never know he was a General.

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Didn't the military give out ranks like participation trophies now.

Back in the day it was a pita to make rank
Yes, they do, at least in the Navy. Don't know about the other branches.

Had a nephew go in the Navy around 7 years ago or so. Came out of Boot Camp as an E3, came out of A school as an E4 and made E5 by the time he was in 6 months. He also had 2 rows of medals on his chest and although he explained what they were to me, I don't remember. I think I was too flabbergasted to remember. My brother did 4 years active duty Navy and didn't even have one row of medals when he got out, but that was in the 60s. I didn't have a half row when I got out of the Army.

He joined the reserves so at the end of 6 months his active duty time was up and it was strictly monthly plus summer camp or whatever it's called. Anyhow, it's not like he was anything special, he was 40 years old when he went in and his MOS was Master At Arms, a no brain type of job. He checked IDs at the main gate.

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Had another thought about my nephew's time in the Navy.

We used to have a pistol qualification to get your CCW here in Arizona. 5 shots at 5 yards, 5 shots at 10 yards and they had to fall inside an 18 x 20 area (IIRC) to count. You needed 7 out of 10 to pass. My nephew got 7. I told him I could throw a gun more accurately than that.

He's in A school and scores expert with an AR and with a Beretta 9MM. When he got home we went shooting and guess what? He still couldn't shoot worth beans. The Navy pencil whipped him. Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts