Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lowe's is running their annual 4th of July special - twin pack of 18.8 bags for $9.88

Half the regular price and 50% less than Sam's or Costco

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RKB - saw my friend's custom 3" 16 SxS today. He was just shooting standard ammo, but he was smoking the 5 stand - not bad for an old guy.......chokes IM, made by Sabatti..........

Got me to thinking (THREAD DRIFT, but it's my thread) :D

What if you took a nice 20 gauge frame SxS and made it a 2 barrel set; 1 set in 16 and one set in 28..................weight about 6#4 and 5#14 or so.....

That might be the ultimate upland gun.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd like to bring this post back from the dead and say it's that time of the year again and now my only problem is how many bags to buy? 6? 10?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
This is a pretty-much annual sale lately (and quite a deal!). I get enough to re-stock my supply used since last Independence Day. I keep 10 bags on hand. I have a Weber kettle for charcoal and a Weber Spirit 210 (natural gas model) for convenience. I prefer the flavor using charcoal but love the speed of gas when I'm too hungry or tired out to wait for charcoal to heat up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd like to bring this post back from the dead and say it's that time of the year again and now my only problem is how many bags to buy? 6? 10?
can anyone here remember when the only place you could buy Kingsford Charcoal was at your local Ford Dealership ? we lived in a small IL town in the early 1950's and remember going to the Ford garage to buy our charcoal.
If you want an interesting read .. check out how Kingsford came into being.

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Always got our at the local milk/gas store (forerunner of your basic C-store). We would get an entire semi load and we unloaded it bag by bag.

Seems they are having the sale 2-3 times per year now - Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. At the price they are selling it at, it beats Costco/Sam's by almost half. I usually but 10 2-packs when I stock up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Charcoal

I only use REAL charcoal-- not the brickets- Easier to light, burns hotter, can provides better flavor. JMHO of course. :)

·
905 Posts
I used nothing but pure mesquite charcoal for over 25 years, not briquettes, but chunks.

Finally got tired of disposing of all the ashes from those years and went to Propane.

I do miss the smell and taste, though. I've thought about putting some mesquite chips in the propane grill but haven't done it.

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I usually go for at least 8 - and that means the two packs, so 16 bags. At the price they sell them for, you can't beat it. Memorial day and 4th of July.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I used nothing but pure mesquite charcoal for over 25 years, not briquettes, but chunks.

Finally got tired of disposing of all the ashes from those years and went to Propane.

I do miss the smell and taste, though. I've thought about putting some mesquite chips in the propane grill but haven't done it.
Put a rack under your regular rack and put lava rocks on it. Heat the grill good and hot, sprinkle the mesquite chips over the lava rocks, close the lid for 5 minutes and then throw your food on. The lava rocks are porous and eventually will retain some of the flavor as well.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"

Reactions: Flash

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tried the lump charcoal for the first time this last summer. Runs hotter and burns faster than the briquets in my opinion. My blacksmith shop consists of a very tired Model T garage built on the property in the teens with the house. We keep a temporary roof on it pending a remodel, and right now it is chock full of salvaged building materials. I read up a bit on coal forging now and again, and none of it sounds good for the health. I will try the lump charcoal for some forging when the building is ready, and maybe cook a steak on the fire when I am done. : ).

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
i stopped the practice of grilling years ago. all someone had to say was Carcinogens and i quit. matter of fact, red meat is now on the no no list from the dr. enjoy meat while you can. i envy you all.

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doesn't have to be red meat to grill; most of what I grill is chicken in a multitude of variations from Jamaican Jerk, the Schwarma, to Moroccan, to simple BBQ breasts

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
its the burnt stuff that is the killer. it like eating charcoal briquettes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My wife makes the most killer skibobs when our garden is going. Marinated pork on skewers with small whole tomatoes and onions. I am currently assigned to picking up road side onions that fall off the harvest trucks on my commute. White and red ones I am not allowed to pass, the most common tan ones we get all we need. Scored an even dozen today of reds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts