Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took a new neighbor of mine out to a SC's range to do some fun shooting. He told me that he thought he would like to learn to shoot clays and asked if I could help him decide what type of shotgun to buy. I told him that I had 2 guns that he could shoot to get a basic idea of what he might prefer. We took a Beretta Silver Pigeon and a Beretta A400 Xcel (smurf) gun out for him to shoot. All went well UNTIL he mounted the gun..... He shoots left handed and both my guns were set up for me (right handed) ! His experience was a disaster. He broke 2 out of 50. I tried explaining to him that the issue wasn't with him but it was the gun and the way it was set up. I suggested that we return to the club house and see if the had any left handed guns for rent but they didn't. I am afraid that his experience might have turned him against our sport.... Any thoughts on how I can help him get over this disaster? He is an ex-military guy so he is somewhat familiar with guns, just not shotguns and how they are fitted for clays.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do either of your guns have adjustable pad or comb? Maybe you could set one up to approximate a left hand gun? I don’t know if you can compensate if your stocks are not neutral cast .

After that , I’d take him out again and have him shoot from one station , the same presentation until he can see what it looks like to be on the bird and break it . I like either station 7 from the low house on skeet, station 3 from trap set in straightaways, or any easy shot on sporting .

The key is for some visual repetition, and work on process , not even thinking about scores .

worse case, you should have shims for the semi auto to put some cast on for a lefty. With my semi, you just flip the cast shim 180 degrees and it changes from cast off to cast on for a lefty . Or a neutral shim might work .

It would also help if it were not a busy day .

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do either of your guns have adjustable pad or comb? Maybe you could set one up to approximate a left hand gun? I don’t know if you can compensate if your stocks are not neutral cast .

After that , I’d take him out again and have him shoot from one station , the same presentation until he can see what it looks like to be on the bird and break it . I like either station 7 from the low house on skeet, station 3 from trap set in straightaways, or any easy shot on sporting .

The key is for some visual repetition, and work on process , not even thinking about scores .

worse case, you should have shims for the semi auto to put some cast on for a lefty. With my semi, you just flip the cast shim 180 degrees and it changes from cast off to cast on for a lefty . Or a neutral shim might work .

It would also help if it were not a busy day .
I agree with your advice of taking him out to one station preferably station 3 on a trap course where the targets fly in a consistent pattern. My thought was to find a trap field that rent LH guns and let him shoot a rental. I hesitate to change either of my guns adjustable combs and pads. The cast shim on the A400 is a possibility but he was a bit un-nerved when the hull flew out across his face and distracted his second shot. He gave up shooting the A400 after 2 stations.
As we get closer to the summer weather here in FL we can pick a slow day or I can get a RO to let us use a dedicated trap field. But we still have the issue of finding a LH gun. I do not want a repeat of his first experience.

Reactions: BadaBoom

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with your advice of taking him out to one station preferably station 3 on a trap course where the targets fly in a consistent pattern. My thought was to find a trap field that rent LH guns and let him shoot a rental. I hesitate to change either of my guns adjustable combs and pads. The cast shim on the A400 is a possibility but he was a bit un-nerved when the hull flew out across his face and distracted his second shot. He gave up shooting the A400 after 2 stations.
As we get closer to the summer weather here in FL we can pick a slow day or I can get a RO to let us use a dedicated trap field. But we still have the issue of finding a LH gun. I do not want a repeat of his first experience.
I can understand not wanting to change your guns over. I've done it before, and when I change them back, it takes a few iterations before I'm confident I have it right.

If you can find a rental, that would be great. I don't have a range less than 6 hours away that rents guns. I hope you have better luck. FWIW. I have been to three diferent clubs in my area. Each one has let me use a dedicated trap and set it up on straights for me. I think that will be the easy part. Finding a LH gun could be a challenge. Best of luck to you both

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand not wanting to change your guns over. I've done it before, and when I change them back, it takes a few iterations before I'm confident I have it right.

If you can find a rental, that would be great. I don't have a range less than 6 hours away that rents guns. I hope you have better luck. FWIW. I have been to three diferent clubs in my area. Each one has let me use a dedicated trap and set it up on straights for me. I think that will be the easy part. Finding a LH gun could be a challenge. Best of luck to you both
Some one suggested to visit a trap club and watch for someone else shooting left handed and ask for advice. She said that left handed shooters are very aware of the problems new shooters incur and will probably suggest that you shoot their gun to get the feel of it !

Reactions: BadaBoom

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
You can change the shims for him on your smurf gun; you'll need a 13mm socket for the stock bolt nut.
That said, TBSC still has a plattern plate don't they? Take him there and see where the POI/POA align (or don't)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can change the shims for him on your smurf gun; you'll need a 13mm socket for the stock bolt nut.
That said, TBSC still has a plattern plate don't they? Take him there and see where the POI/POA align (or don't)
They have restricted the use of the pattering board to Rangers only. However I am sure if I ask they will let me use it as we shoot there every week. The issue he has with the A400 are the hulls ejecting across his line of vision.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
They have restricted the use of the pattering board to Rangers only. However I am sure if I ask they will let me use it as we shoot there every week. The issue he has with the A400 are the hulls ejecting across his line of vision.
I am LH and I do not see those hulls - that gun can spit out 5 rounds in less than a second; he isn't going to see the empty being ejected................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts