Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reduced to using range pickup for my target loads. I had a big pile ready to pick up but they got left in the rain for 2 days and accumulated rust on the base. Is it safe to shoot them or how can I easily remove the rust?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I'll agree with just trashing them, yes, it looks like crap, but the rust will not weaken anything. The metal base on a shotgun hull adds nothing to the strength of the hull, it just gives the primer an attach point and gives the extractor a rim to grab to pull it out of the chamber. Rusted bases will add extra wear on your gun's chamber, though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll agree with just trashing them, yes, it looks like crap, but the rust will not weaken anything. The metal base on a shotgun hull adds nothing to the strength of the hull, it just gives the primer an attach point and gives the extractor a rim to grab to pull it out of the chamber. Rusted bases will add extra wear on your gun's chamber, though.
I agree on the strength............But I have saw rusty heads split upon firing. No danger but could jam up your repeater.

·
913 Posts
It's probably just light surface rust. Try using some 0000 steel wool on them and see if it comes off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts