Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, old retired diesel mechanic here. Love all kinds of shooting & everything outdoors.
Just started shot shell loading not very long ago. Was given a Mint condition MEC Super 600,
very happy with it so far. Then, got an also Mint Hornady Apex-91 Standard, both 12ga.
Have to say. The MEC was my first but my Hornady is just down right slick. I love it.
Have been loading metalic for a bit over 55 years now.

·
975 Posts
Sprinkling here in S/E Gilbert

Welcome to the forum. You've been reloading metallic around 11 years less than me and I guess you're just starting reloading shotgun. I started that in 1969.

Bad time to be getting into it, though, as primers and powder are tight. Shot is easy here though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
S/E Gilbert ?? I was born & raised in central Phx & your area has always been hit real hard by storms, because of that giant wind tunnel geography south of you.
You guys get washed away, we sit here praying for it..
Yea, a bit over 55 years ago, at the ripe old age of 8, loaded my first round, & cast my first bullet. 38 Spec in an old Lee Loader Whack A Mole, don't remember the boolit mold?
Fast forward to pretty much now, & here I am still stuffing metallic but, a buddy in Wash got me started on shot shells.
He had a MEC Super 600 that he totally rebuilt & sent to me for my birthday. Man, I thought I was in Hog Heaven, & I was, Until I bought a mint Hornady Apex-91 Standard off of the same guy. He got it new, ran 4 boxes of shell, boxed it back up & put in closet in favor of a Ponses Warren something or other?? It sat in his closet until about 3 months ago, now I have it.
The Hornady is so much smoother & has way more hand & finger room plus the auto advance is sweet. So yup, just starting but, only one kind of everything, primer, hulls, wads, so
pretty limited in loads right now but, Gonna keep at it, I really like shot shells. Except for spilled shot in the carpet???????????

·
975 Posts
You need a shallow aluminum cookie sheet under your reloader. It'll catch all the spilled shot.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

As to spilled shot, I prefer a DEEP steam table tray - catches everything ans is also an easy place to store bushing and small tools that are handy to have around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flash & One Ounce, Thank you. Sheet pan, cookie sheet Etc is what Ive been thinking of. Can't afford to loose it & don't know where anymore is at??
Thanks again, Take care & be safe...

·
975 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

As to spilled shot, I prefer a DEEP steam table tray - catches everything ans is also an easy place to store bushing and small tools that are handy to have around.
I store all my bushings in a latching green box I got from a place I worked at years ago and the tools are on a magnetic strip on the wall.

I'm a bit anal about it I suppose but I hate looking all over for something I want to use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I store all my bushings in a latching green box I got from a place I worked at years ago and the tools are on a magnetic strip on the wall.

I'm a bit anal about it I suppose but I hate looking all over for something I want to use.
My custom storage container with custom Gorilla Tape hinge & modest (very) bushing & parts collection. My only shot bushing & my 426 powder bushing are in the press??
Hey, gotta start somewhere?? My collection of loading / casting gear now take a rental truck & a couple hired hands to move??
When I get a couple extra $$ stashed away, I need to get a few bushings, more than one wad, primer, hull ( I now have Gun Clubs, Win 209, & MEC Fig 8's )
& a trimmer, hull vise, roll crimper ???????? Oop's, guess I better hit SEND before my wife see this. :):):):)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome from SW Idaho. We are hotter than the hubs here, have been in the 100 plus for going on a month with no end in sight. Usually we do not get this hot and this dry this early in the year. My shotgun reloading stuff is still spread all over the shop in boxes and what not. I am retired to two days work week now but still very much playing catch up. Forty-five years of interrupted projects, and everything you pick up is half done. Once this weather breaks and a guy can get in more than a few hours in the AM and PM we will tear into things again.

·
975 Posts
My custom storage container with custom Gorilla Tape hinge & modest (very) bushing & parts collection. My only shot bushing & my 426 powder bushing are in the press??
Hey, gotta start somewhere?? My collection of loading / casting gear now take a rental truck & a couple hired hands to move??
When I get a couple extra $$ stashed away, I need to get a few bushings, more than one wad, primer, hull ( I now have Gun Clubs, Win 209, & MEC Fig 8's )
& a trimmer, hull vise, roll crimper ???????? Oop's, guess I better hit SEND before my wife see this. :):):):)
I got lucky on the powder and shot bushings. Found a guy at a gun show with a dozen or so powder bushings and 3 or 4 shot bushings...$1.00/per bushing. I already had 4 or 5 powder bushings and 3 or 4 shot bushings so I'm pretty well set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts