Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm thinking about building one of these myself. this one is made by Serbu and costs around $700. i'm aware of the stamps and transfer fees i will have to pay to make it possible. but i still think i can make it based on an old remmy 870 for cheaper then i could buy one from Serbu. any suggestions? my only real question so far is how i'm going to manufacture a folding foregrip-because i think its the only way i can have the mag tube that short.

any insight would be awesome, thanks

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say that foregrip is going to have to be custom designed and machined. That is where the money is going to start adding into the equation.
You would need a custom mag tube too. The barrel is going to have to be either purchased that short or have one customized to fit on the mag tube. It does't look like an easy project or a cheap one either. Also remember to keep the $5 AOW stamp you have to purchase the shotgun with the pistol grip already on it and never put a stock on it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would need a custom mag tube too. The barrel is going to have to be either purchased that short or have one customized to fit on the mag tube. It does't look like an easy project or a cheap one either. Also remember to keep the $5 AOW stamp you have to purchase the shotgun with the pistol grip already on it and never put a stock on it.
as far as the mag tube goes- i think i can just cut it to length with a pipe cutter, re-stamp new dimples for the plastic keeper, and rethread the last 1/2 inch for the end cap.

then the only other issue i think i'll have is trying to figure out the appropriate amount of mag spring to remove.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say that foregrip is going to have to be custom designed and machined. That is where the money is going to start adding into the equation.
i'm not super worried about the cost (yet :?), i've got a great working realtionship with a local machine shop owner. i just need to decide on a functional design. i dont wanna just clone the Serbu design since i have the option of making a custom piece

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why so small? you would be surprise how small/maneuverable a 18" shotty with a pistol grip is....
mostly just for nostalgic reasons honestly. i already have an 18 inch tactical model as well as a 26 inch hardwood bird slayer. i'm just thinking it'll be a fun project since i work in a shop with all the tools to manufacture the metal pieces

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so now i'm kicking around the idea of building based off a mossy 500 because i might be able to get one cheaper then the 870. but i've never owned one so i'm not real used to the platform. any suggestions?

thanks again

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm not super worried about the cost (yet :?), i've got a great working realtionship with a local machine shop owner. i just need to decide on a functional design. i dont wanna just clone the Serbu design since i have the option of making a custom piece
Why not just buy the Serbu? It's easier...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts