Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys first thread on this BBS. Never had an issue like this before so I'd thought I'd post up for some thoughts. Yesterday evening I had my SLP MK1 out shooting targets with a friend of mine, and I thought I would grab a box of my TAP ammo to make sure it functioned ok since the gun was fairly new and hasn't had any of these rounds cycled thorugh it. So I through in 5 rounds and the first 4 went just fine, round number 5 was a different story. I fired the round and the gun sounded real funny almost like a firework going off in a drainage tube, the bowling pin I was shooting at fell over but barely, and the action didn't cycle back hard enough to eject the shell, in fact it pushed the hull back into the chamber but It did it in very slow motion. I opened the action and a good bit of smoke poored out of it. I removed the empty hull but didn't pay much attention to it at that time. My friend said "let me see that" he took his flashlight and looked down the barrel and couldn't see any light (chamber was still open). The wad went about 3/4 of the way downt he bore and stuck. WE took the barrel off and got the was out, albeit it was really stuck in there and obviously got very hot. No damage was seen in the barrel, and I later confirmed this with a good cleaning and inspection. We went back looking for the hull and found the end of it looked like it melted. Our initial thoughts were that the powder was bad and it simply burned super slow melting the end of the hull and the wadding, and causing a very weak shot. Thoughts on this?

Next question is I have 195 rounds of this expensive ammo and I'm not sure I trust it anymore. Would it do any good to contact Hornady about this?

Thanks for any input
BigRat

·
Registered
24 Posts
How old was this ammo?
Has it been stored improperly?
Has it been flooded or gotten wet?
Did you buy it new or was it a "deal" from a questionable source?

If it was supposed to be good ammo, bought new, it had been stored properly, and never subjected to excess moisture, I would damn sure be contacting Hornady, asking that it be replaced.

I would not be firing any more of that stuff until knew what was going on with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GrampaDennis,

Thanks for getting back to me. This was ammo that I recieved when I purchased the gun as part of the deal. I bought the SLP used 2 months ago, was bought new in 09. I'd suspect the ammo is same age as gun. All of it is still in original boxes in like new shape, (no sign of being wet, dropped, etc.) How it was stored before I got it, is a big unknown however. Just very dissapointing to have all these rounds of what's normally top quality defensive stuff, not trust worthy for it's intended role. Hopefully Hornady will have a recall on the stuff from a few years back, I'll report back to what they have to say. More then likely I'm stuck with this stuff.

Thanks
BigRat

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
this stuff has a track record of misfiring. sounds like the seller knew it and threw it in to sweatin the pot...and pass off a hot potato.
the problem area i believe is in their special reciepe to eliminate muzzle flash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bobski,

First I've heard of a problem, I did a little searching on the net and didn't come up with anything usefull.

I actually got off the phone with Hornady today, looks like they are going to help me out, they asked if I had the shell casing and wad available, as they would need that for a claim, thank goodness I saved them. So things are looking up, and Kudos to Hornady for customer service:D

BigRat

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
good deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts