Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt want to hijack the other shotgun thread,

So while we are on the shotgun subject, if one was to start building this style of shotgun(home defense), is it better to just chop a barrel off or buy an aftermarket shorter barrel with a choke? Does it even need a choke at all for home defense? Just trying to get some ideas on what to do with my 870. ;)
Thanks

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Most 18" barrels won't have chokes - they're "cylinder bore".

I dropped $100 on an 18" barrel because I wanted to keep my 28" barrel with chokes. I put the long barrel back on every spring to hunt turkeys. There are other times where the long-barrel pump comes in handy - doves in the rain, ducks and other times where I don't want to break out the over/under and expose it to the weather.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just about choke-less is best. With an IC choke, you get about 1" of spread per yard of range out of a standard 18" barrel. Some folks say that starts after 3 yards, but my tests don't agree with that. Anyway, figure out the maximum yardage inside your house and you will see that at the ranges typical for home defense, you are looking at about 8" patterns and less with your buckshot.

For buckshot to really be effective, it needs to spread a little, but not too much. If the shot separates too much, then basically what you end up with is a bunch of wounds equivilent to a wound from a .32acp loaded with round ball. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't the best case scenario, either.

A 5-7" pattern impacting the BG all at once is where buckshot really shows it's full potential. So when deciding on a choke for your defensive shotgun, figure out the distance you are likely to be engaging targets at, then figure out what choke will deliver the pattern you want (5-7") at that distance.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most 18" barrels won't have chokes - they're "cylinder bore".

I dropped $100 on an 18" barrel because I wanted to keep my 28" barrel with chokes. I put the long barrel back on every spring to hunt turkeys. There are other times where the long-barrel pump comes in handy - doves in the rain, ducks and other times where I don't want to break out the over/under and expose it to the weather.
I did the same as I take mine out in the field on occasion

that's why it's keeping the walnut stocks too.

all I needed was a shorter barrel...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Short Barrel Shotgun As Primary Home Defense Weapon

If you are serious about employing the shotgun as your primary home defense weapon, then consider the short barrel shotgun. For about $200 bucks, (perhaps a little more) you can LEGALLY paper your 870 as a short barrel shotgun. All you need to do is talk to your local friendly class 3 dealer.

Can you do this in Utah? Dunno. With a legal 12 inch barrel, you have changed just about everything. The problem with the shotgun as a primary home defense weapon is just about everything. Time, deployment, sight picture, length, minimum range, recoil, muzzle blast, flash, etc..

With a shorty 870 with a pistol grip, you still have SOME problems, but you have eliminated MOST of the rest. Still have the recoil and flash, but training can work you thru most of that. Anyway, just some ideas on how to defend your castle from the bad guys. Might also be the cheapest LEGAL route. HB of CJ

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kinda agree with Cuda in certian situations. If you have a dove/duck etc shottie with a long barrel, just buy a 2nd shorter "HD" barrel for it.

You can keep it around the house with a short 18" barrel, yet smack on your long barrel for if/when you go hunting. You don't really need 2 shotties lying around the house, so combine your sport with home defense. a 2nd barrel will cost considerably less than a 2nd shorty HD shotgun.

Otherwise, i'd suggest something compact and maybe putting a folder or at least a LOP stock on an 18" gun. The folder option is nice, especially if your home has hallways or if you're in a small apt. condo townhome, etc.

I have an 870, but nothing wrong with the cheaper Mossbergs on the market. Afterall, this is for home defense and there is not a whole lot of "range time" with a HD shottie. Smack a flashlight on it and you're set 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts