Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

Just wanted you all to offer your perspective on the ideal home defense shotgun. What accessories do you reccomend, what kind of load, best place to situate them, and of course post pics of those bad boys up!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are good basic choices for pump action. Add a tac light, and that's pretty much it. maybe a shell holder. Nothing else is necessary and will just weigh you down. Also, make sure you get a shoulder stock... don't bother with the pistol grip nonsense.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are good basic choices for pump action. Add a tac light, and that's pretty much it. maybe a shell holder. Nothing else is necessary and will just weigh you down. Also, make sure you get a shoulder stock... don't bother with the pistol grip nonsense.
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus (500 vs 870). I did have some qualms about the tac light though... People have said that when you line up a sight with a tac light on your gun (handgun or shotgun) that it presents a target if an intruder has a gun as well, a target that is unfortunately in line with your face. Is this just a myth? Also, how do you feel about pistolgrip/stock combo? I'm not sure what it's called when you pull the shotgun back over your shoulder to check corners, but how hard is it to fire from this position? would a forend grip help in this situation? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Remington 870 and the only accessory I have is a side saddle shell holder. I will only use 2 3/4" 00 Buck shells. Anything more than this could get in your way (slings, lights etc...).

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus (500 vs 870). I did have some qualms about the tac light though... People have said that when you line up a sight with a tac light on your gun (handgun or shotgun) that it presents a target if an intruder has a gun as well, a target that is unfortunately in line with your face. Is this just a myth? Also, how do you feel about pistolgrip/stock combo? I'm not sure what it's called when you pull the shotgun back over your shoulder to check corners, but how hard is it to fire from this position? would a forend grip help in this situation? Thanks for the response.
I took a home defense with a shot gun class and was told that the only change to the stock you should make is to go with a shorter length of pull. Most come with a 14" and a 12" would be better. Pistol grips and other accessories will make your gun feel like an AR or other such weapon and could confuse you when you are under the stress of have to defend yourself. If your gun feels like a pump action shot gun you will remember to use it like one.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunately, I am not a shotgun expert, so I cannot answer your last question.

The pistolgrip/shoulder stock combo (AR-style stock) seems to work for a lot of folks. Make sure you figure out which one works better for you. Personally, I prefer the look of a regular shoulder stock, but that's me - and it's an aesthetic choice. There's also the matter of safeties. From what people say, the tang safety on the 500 is easier if you're using a regular shoulder stock, while the trigger guard safety is easier on the 870 if you're using an AR-style stock.

for the tac light, you'd want to use it sparingly and smartly. Meaning, don't go around the house with it on all the time like you see Hollywood do. Turn on very briefly, then turn back off. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, you can use the light to ID your target right before you pull the trigger (or decide not to). You're right, if you leave your light on, it just makes a great target for the bad guy to shoot at/attack.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's what I've learned...

A.) Have a shotgun you're familiar with and use often...

B.) Load it with either buckshot or a slug...

There you have it.

Personally, I had a meat and potatoes rem 870 until I lucked out and got a new old stock FN TPS...which is basically a tricked out Winchester 1300. I do like a pistol grip and adjustable stock because I feel I have better control with it but that's just me. A ported barrel does help now that I've ran shots through shotguns that had it and didn't.

Other that that, I leave mine loaded with Hornady TAP 00 buck.

On a side note, I need to practice with mine more often because I hate shotguns...I simply do not find them enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it comes to a HD shotgun, less is more; imho, all a HD shotgun needs is a buttstock, a hi-visibility front sight (I like an XS 24/7 Big Dot), 5+ round capacity, and a fairly short barrel--20" or less. The only add-on would be a light.

As for the light giving an aim point--get popped with a good 120+ lumen light, and the first instinct is to look away...not try and aim a gun. My advice is take a low-light class and learn how to properly use your light.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the money, The maverick 88 setup I have is hard to beat. Bought it at WalMerica for under 200, and ordered a 18.5" barrel for 65(I think) from mossberg. Shot it enough to know which side of it to be on, and good enough to double tap a clay. I see both views on the light.

If the invader doesn't have a weapon drawn, the light would enable you to hold advantage over them, watching for their draw. If they do... you are a huge glowing target. It they hit anywhere near the light, you are in a bad situation. BUT, if you can't see your target, you shouldn't be shooting at it right? Noone wants to accidentally shoot at their sleepwalking teenage son or perforate a wet suit hanging up in the basement.

I could be really wrong though.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the money, The maverick 88 setup I have is hard to beat. Bought it at WalMerica for under 200, and ordered a 18.5" barrel for 65(I think) from mossberg. Shot it enough to know which side of it to be on, and good enough to double tap a clay. I see both views on the light.

If the invader doesn't have a weapon drawn, the light would enable you to hold advantage over them, watching for their draw. If they do... you are a huge glowing target. It they hit anywhere near the light, you are in a bad situation. BUT, if you can't see your target, you shouldn't be shooting at it right? Noone wants to accidentally shoot at their sleepwalking teenage son or perforate a wet suit hanging up in the basement.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Not Really wrong, just half wrong. A persons first reaction to being hit in the eyes with a bright enough (no 8 lumen pen lights please) light is to look away or close them suckers up real tight. Now if you stand there like an idiot with on them for 5 seconds or more then yes the light will be a beacon to your death or great bodily injury. The pro if Identifying your target outweighs the con of them knowing where you are at. Tactics will take care of the con of them knowing where you are.........

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ditto on the Maverick, I bought one NIB for 150 buks, took it apart and used some OD Gunkote spray on and bake to do the barreland receiver ( inside and out ) made a cool looking gun thats never missed a lick. I shoot a lot in the summer with it on snakes and other pests.

I have a 120 L light on it, for sure no one is gonna stare..

Heres another trick I am considering...rifled barrel with 00..

I don't have the link handy, You Tube on The Judge to see what a rifled barrel does with 00, it's a room enema :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I don't have the link handy, You Tube on The Judge to see what a rifled barrel does with 00, it's a room enema :rolleyes:
I wouldn't consider 4 balls to be a "room enema" (5 for 3")...

The Judge is 100% not a replacement for a real shotgun...as a matter of fact, its basically a novelty act:

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

Its good for a "Oooo...Ahhhh!" impress your friends day at the range but it is terribly inaccurate with that tiny, rifled barrel and a .410 is a joke of a defensive round.

I was mildly interested in one until I spent a day at the range with a friends, after that I had little interest in it. I'd rather defend myself with my .357 snubby if the chips were down. Again and again, it is stated the best round to shoot out of that thing for defense is the 45 Colt and what's the point of that? You lose so much velocity shoving the round down that insanely long cylinder, its pointless (especially on the 3" version).

I'd love to see actual FPS readings from one of those with 45 Colt but most people that own one wouldn't do that because they're too busy thinking they have a hand howitzer that can shoot an entire house down with one shot.

Oh...while I'm on the topic of the almighty Judge...crap like this:

Winchester Supreme Elite Self Defense Ammunition 410 Bore 2-1/2" 3 Disks over 1/4 oz BB Bonded PDX1 Box of 10 - MidwayUSA

only helps to fuel the fire...what a joke...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not Really wrong, just half wrong. A persons first reaction to being hit in the eyes with a bright enough (no 8 lumen pen lights please) light is to look away or close them suckers up real tight. Now if you stand there like an idiot with on them for 5 seconds or more then yes the light will be a beacon to your death or great bodily injury. The pro if Identifying your target outweighs the con of them knowing where you are at. Tactics will take care of the con of them knowing where you are.........
You beat me to it.

Just venturing a guess, but I'd say that better'n two-thirds of folks who have lights on their HD weapons don't know how to properly use them...which is why my constant advice whenever these topics come up is to get some training on proper light use.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ditto on the Maverick, I bought one NIB for 150 buks, took it apart and used some OD Gunkote spray on and bake to do the barreland receiver ( inside and out ) made a cool looking gun thats never missed a lick. I shoot a lot in the summer with it on snakes and other pests.

I have a 120 L light on it, for sure no one is gonna stare..

A rifled barrel with 00 is going to put the shot everywhere but where you aim it...

And the Judge is a gimmick, range-toy gun, especially when loaded with buckshot. Those .36 lead balls have about the same velocity as a round ball fired from an old cap and ball revolver...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are a few basics for HD shotguns, IMO:

1. Stick to the basics; the more crap you have mounted to it the more confusing it will be in a firefight.
2. Pistol-grips for shotguns are most useful for breaching. Do you plan to breach you own home?
3. Even a shotgun with an 18.5" barrel is more difficult to maneuver in tight quarters, e.g. your home, than a pistol. Consider how you will use a shotgun in a home defense scenario.
4. Practice, practice, practice ....
5. Did I mention simpler is better?

My primary HD shotgun is a Stoeger Coach Gun. No lights, fancy sights or food processors hanging off of it. :)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whew...

Musta not said I was thinkin about a rifled barrel for my Maverick , and that could be up to 12 balls scattered in a whirlwind in a 300 sq ft room, kinda enema-ish in my thinkin

I was only useing the Judge as an example of what a rifle barrel would do with 00...

I don't think the Judge is meant to be anything but an up close gun, sure wouldn't look for much past 7 - 10 yds

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's what I've learned...

A.) Have a shotgun you're familiar with and use often...

B.) Load it with either buckshot or a slug...
Best to stay away from 12 gauge slugs unless you have zero neighbors in your vicinity. They can rip thru exterior walls like tissue paper and keep on keepin on.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My ideal home defense shotgun is a youth model 20 gauge 870 or 500. Just a bead and a short stock.

PGO is highly overrated and, in my experience, is nothing but a PITA.

Sling is useless in a home defense scenario, IMO.

I have a light/laser attachment for my 500 that is never used. The only reason it's there is because it was there when it was purchased. I just never took it off. I guess it's good to have if needed, but I wouldn't waste money or time on it.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts