Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a shotgun along with a handgun next week. The handgun (XDm .40) will be a CCW primarily and the shotgun will be in the house for defense. I want something reliable but wont break the bank. I figure 12ga is as versatile as it gets, and I dont want to go too big so the girlfriend can fire it ok on her own. I see a copy of an 870 on buds (Interstate Arms Black Synthetic 12 Ga Defender w/18.5" Barre $200.00 SHIPS FREE) thats had 17/18 great reviews, so I'm leaning towards it a bit. I'd like to keep cost under 400 if thats any place to start

Thanks

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking to pick up a shotgun along with a handgun next week. The handgun (XDm .40) will be a CCW primarily and the shotgun will be in the house for defense. I want something reliable but wont break the bank. I figure 12ga is as versatile as it gets, and I dont want to go too big so the girlfriend can fire it ok on her own. I see a copy of an 870 on buds (Interstate Arms Black Synthetic 12 Ga Defender w/18.5" Barre $200.00 SHIPS FREE) thats had 17/18 great reviews, so I'm leaning towards it a bit. I'd like to keep cost under 400 if thats any place to start

Thanks
For less than $400 you can get a real remington 870 or a mossberg 500... I'd avoid the knock off's when it comes to defense guns.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love my 870. It's the only shotgun I've owned, so I have little to compare it to other than firing friends' shotguns. I've put box after box through the 870 and never had an issue. That speaks volumes when one shot can make all the difference.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another vote for Mossberg 500. I got a great deal at Big5 on a two barrel combo, suggested here on XDtalk when it was on sale last year. One short for home defense, one long for trap&skeet. I am very happy, especially for what I paid

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another recommendation for the Mossberg 500. I found mine as a combo, 18 1/2" and 26" barrels.

Consider a 20 ga. My wife won't shoot a 12 but has a lot of fun with the 20. For HD a 20 is just fine.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Steven's (Savage Arms) Defender model 350. Good home defense model. You can get these guns all day long for less than $250. I scored mine for $179.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too went with a Savage Arms Stevens 350 Security 12 gauge. Inexpensive. And hopefully lasts many years in my closet and a few trips a year to the range.

But getting back to your girlfriend using a shotgun. Can she handle the 12 gauge or would a 20 gauge be a bit better for her? There are some lower recoil 12 gauge loads out there but I have no experience with them yet.

I think a mossberg 500 persuader is avaialbe in 20 guage and probably a remington 870 too.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone with some more updated links/discussions on the reliability/durability/build-quality of the 887 Nitro Mag?

I'm really interested in it - it looks like something that I'll just buy and not need to "personalize," as it would have all that I'm looking to get already on it. The many reports of the 887's excellent recoil dampening also interests me, as I will be taking classes/courses.

It's just the old (c. 2009/early-2010) reports of production quality (or lack thereof) and relatively little data on durability/reliability that has me siding more towards the traditional 870....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Certainly nothing wrong with what you linked. A lot of people like the 982. It is a near copy of the 870. In fact, many say it is even better built than the 870 express for less money. If you don't mind the fact it is made in China, I'd say go for it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts