Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I'd like to know what you keep in your HD shotguns. I'm currently carrying Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck. They are a 2 3/4" shell, and they claim 1600 FPS at the muzzle. I've shot some Federal, Winchester, and Remington 00 Buck through the gun as well as several slugs. What do you guys like for HD rounds?

·
Registered
145 Posts
00 buckshot.. Sellier and Bellot 12 pellet loads, and a few more 00 and slugs in the Tac Star sidesaddle

More pellets is better.. if they are dead soft lead you don't need the extra velocity

·
Registered
11 Posts
HD ammo

We tested 6 brands of 12 guage 2 3/4 OO buckshot in 5 different shotguns. By far the best was the Federal LE 133. It had the best patterns and c ontrolability.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I only use 2-3/4" shells, usually it's Federal OO buck and/or #4 buck. I also bought some Remington OOO loads recently. Federal and Remington make the best shotgun rounds IMO. Sealed, tapered and buffered, hard to beat.

I reload quite a bit of buckshot and slugs (home cast no less) but I still use factory shells in my HD guns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
#2, or any size, birdshot is as good as anything at indoor ranges and won't kill anyone too far away if it goes out the window. I would load that, with 00 backup in the mag tube.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Birdshot is a poor choice for aggressive humanoids.. it does not penetrate deep enough as tests at Box O Truth have proven, In fact they do not even recommend #4 buckshot

·
Registered
85 Posts
Federal 00 Buck with Flite Control Wad or Wimchester PDX1

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Standard 2 3/4 00 buck.

I agree with the birdshot for home defense comments. Birdshot may not penetrate enough to do enough damage and believe it or not may penetrate walls more than you think.

The front portion of the shot charge tends to break apart the barrier, whatever it is, and the pellets behind it tend to go on through.

Now with that being said would someone stand there while and disagree that the birdshot is not effective? Probably not but there are better options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some great ammo choices presented. However, good luck finding it. I spent an hour searching online, and found most everything out of stock in buckshot. Bought some S&B #4 buck to try, since I haven't shot that size before.
I agree that there are better choices than birdshot for SD. But, there is birdshot, and there is BIRDSHOT.
While I usually rely on 00 buck, I have some 2 3/4" short magnum rounds with buffered copperplated #2's that would ruin an intruders day at close range.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I like home distance patterning of #4 buck so that is my choice. Not too wide, not too tight a spread against human sized target across the typical room. Pellets bound to find something to disrupt in the target if you aim center.

Interesting viewing if you haven't seen. Each block and space is 1" for scale.

Notice the foster slug only penetrates 11-12" of gelatin due to expansion but devastates it to no end. Fine for home defense in my book. Just hit your target.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If those blocks were the same size, the 45 JHP "moves some material". I have been loaded with FED tac buck for a long time. I live where I could use a rifle, if it went through the wall, the only fear I would have is listening to the wife, about patching a hole in the wall. That was also a standard velocity 45 load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've taken quite a bit of advice from this thread and have settled on what I think is a good combo for my Mossy. I hope I don't sound like an idiot as I've been shooting most of my life, but I've seen some mention "#4 Buckshot" above. Are all #4s the same? For instance, I bought some Winchester #4 "small game" shot based on the theory of overpenetration in the home. Is this the same as #4 Buckshot? If not, what's the difference?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts