Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am interested in learning about shotguns.

The old antiques. Restoration.

I think firstly I would like to learn how to make a high quality single shot break barrel shotgun and decorate it. Firing standard 12 gauge.

Then I can look at antiques.

I look forward to listening to the experts advice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello, I am interested in learning about shotguns.

The old antiques. Restoration.

I think firstly I would like to learn how to make a high quality single shot break barrel shotgun and decorate it. Firing standard 12 gauge.

Then I can look at antiques.

I look forward to listening to the experts advice.
What means "decoration" to you on a shotgun?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Decoration like they have at holland and holland in London. Not that I have that much money. I want to decorate my own plates.
I understand. You mean engraving. There are many good sources on how to learn that skill and you might consult the American Custom Gunmakers Guild for reference material first. It is the first place I would look for information. Most engravers start with a study & talent for artful drawings. Then serve years in an apprenticeship learning the various techniques, layout, and tool making required.

Also you should note that on a finished gun even a cheap one, you will probably have to anneal the metal surfaces first before doing any engraving. You will probably want to practice on some plain metal plates before trying on even an inexpensive gun. Difficult-yes, impossible-no. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts