Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it is important on my XD to rotate the magazines occasionally so the spring will work properly when it is needed.

I am using a Remington 870 for HD purposes and I have been leaving 6 shells in the magazine.

My question is if that is ok to do or should I just plan on loading it with shells off the shelf if it is needed.

The problem I see with not leaving it loaded is that when it is needed it is not ready and in a situation you might need a shotgun you probably don't have those spare seconds.

Any answers or thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've wondered the same thing. On my Mossberg, I keep the chamber empty, two rounds in the magazine, and six more in the side saddle. Not the most perfect solution, but, it shouldn't over-compress the magazine spring, and, still keeps it available for immediate use.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
think of it like your car's suspension:

They get worn out from bouncing around. Not sitting static. If it was true that a loaded spring loses its return strength at a considerable rate, vehicle manufacturers would reccomend that you unload all weight from the suspension when not in use (i.e. put the car up on blocks every night...lol).

As long as you're not loading and unloading it constantly, it'll be fine.

I actually got my springs to loosen up considerably on my XD mags by unloading and reloading them every night (repeated every day for about a month).

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, so I will leave my 12 gauge loaded but does this also mean that it is ok to leave one magazine loaded for my XD 45 or should I still rotate those out?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, so I will leave my 12 gauge loaded but does this also mean that it is ok to leave one magazine loaded for my XD 45 or should I still rotate those out?
Load them all. It will save you a little time at the range. Or you will have a backup ready to go if you have to use one and it malfunctions.
Big if there, but you never know.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Load them all. It will save you a little time at the range. Or you will have a backup ready to go if you have to use one and it malfunctions.
Big if there, but you never know.
I keep mine all loaded, but it only takes more time at the range LOL. Have to unload all of them, then reload with target rounds.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All my mags are loaded, detachable, tube and drum.
A good mag spring isn't going to suffer any significant compression staying compressed.
I have mags that are range mags and mags that are stored loaded for general purposes. The range mag's springs will wear out first.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I keep mine all loaded, but it only takes more time at the range LOL. Have to unload all of them, then reload with target rounds.
x 2...same here, I can't afford to use my good HD ammo at the range every time!

Thanks again for all the comfort though, I do feel better now leaving my magazines full.

Hopefully it never comes down to needing them though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts