Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all thats going on has it taken effect to the shooting at your club? We use to have about 10 regulars that all shot together. Now its down to 5. No shells can be had, no reloading supplys has taken its toll. The trapshooters has feel off too. Our club is open only on Fri-Sat-Sun cause its so slack. The way its headed I wouldn't be surprised if they cut Sundays out. Just no one got anything to shoot. Where you are at is it the same? I sure hope something good happens soon for the best.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
6,691 Posts
Walmarts and some other stores have ammo; some places are somewhat high on their pricing. Hasn't seemed to affect too many folks around here; even the AR guys are shooting a lot. Saturday had someone going full auto for about an hour; that had to be expensive.

Stopped in a Rural King in Dothan during a Sunday drive; plenty of ammo, priced more like Gander Mountain in the old days; US made off brand 9mm was $33/50; I passed. For shotshells, the local Academy and Walmart have been getting some in; note that federal has raised their prices 3 times this year and just announced a fourth increase in November with ZERO availability of primers until orders are caught up, so do mot look for 209 until at least next year, maybe if ever.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our club has seen some drop off in total target shot, but it is mostly the casual shooters. The regulars are still shooting but some not as much as in the past. Some components are becoming more available but not so much with primers. Some Cheddite show up but they sell out quickly. On of my supplier got in a pallet of primers recently and sold them all in 2 days even limiting customers to 2000 per purchase.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's down from last year at my local club. Last years August shoot has 113 shooters, this year only 63.
The club has shells, but like everywhere else, they are expensive. A lot of people are staying home due to the cost, the regulars that reload are still showing up. Walmart out here no longer sells ammo so there even fewer places to look.
It sucks, I'm glad I reload.

Reactions: oneounceload

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
The local shotgun range I used to be a member of and go to has gone from 1 manager, 1 assistant manager, 1 guy who repairs traps and 3 Range Officers to 1 guy that does all those functions and still only works a couple of hours a day. Their problems are two, a lack of ammo/components and poor management driving a bunch of people off.

The people they drove off shoot at another couple of ranges that are run properly.

The guys I shoot with are pretty well stocked up. Most of them say they've got enough for another 5 years or so of shooting, a couple say they're good for around another 15 years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have enough supplies to last about 5 years at current rates. Now a new gun purchase is likely to result in more shooting, so less than a 5 year supply. I don't know how much it will change, but I will figure that out soon enough. I might find myself looking for powder, primers and shot soon :mad:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I check Walmart often, the only thing on the shelves is duck loads. I can find rifle and pistol but NO shotshells. It is rough out there!

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
Interesting you mention Duck loads. Went into the Casa Grande Wally World yesterday after shooting and they had around 30 boxes of Winchester 12 Gauge loads, all either #4 shot or BB shot.

Needless to say, I passed. I no longer hunt waterfowl.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have busied myself doing other things these days. The first step for Mrs. wcf4575 and myself was to get our new septic system put in, there is practically nothing we can do as far as remodeling the old house, or building new, without bringing the septic system up to code. I am not currently getting much work on my part time gig, so money is tight until February when the Mrs. joins me in retirement. Getting through this huge septic project keeps us home, we are not driving much of anywhere, and materials are coming out of the new house fund, so for now this works. I could sure stand to see things improving for the shooting sports and the country though; that would do my heart good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts