Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An acquaintance of mine suffers Migraine Headaches so bad that he has to go to bed in a dark room.
His doctor prescribed medicinal marijuana for relief. He obtained all the appropriate (legal) approvals and carries an identification card .
A couple of days ago he went into our LGS and tried to purchase a shotgun for shooting clays.
They ran the background check and he was unable to complete the sale because of the prescription.
The owner of the LGS explained that if he had a CCP before the prescription card he would have been able to purchase the gun but, now he cannot purchase a gun or obtain a CCP.
Any thoughts ?

·
913 Posts
Much the same thing going on in my State. I'm friends with the owner of one LGS/indoor range that overheard 2 of her counter help talking about their medical MJ cards and she fired them both on the spot.

The problem is that States can make it legal all they want, but Federal law supersedes State law and Federal law says it's illegal.

Here's what the 4473 says: e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

So, even if he had a CCW, he would have had to lie on the 4473 to get a gun, because you still fill out the form even if you bypass the NICS check. And if he lied, he'd be guilty of a federal crime for lying on the 4473, something that he should give thought to.

The only way to fix it is for the Feds to change the law.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much the same thing going on in my State. I'm friends with the owner of one LGS/indoor range that overheard 2 of her counter help talking about their medical MJ cards and she fired them both on the spot.

The problem is that States can make it legal all they want, but Federal law supersedes State law and Federal law says it's illegal.

Here's what the 4473 says: e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

So, even if he had a CCW, he would have had to lie on the 4473 to get a gun, because you still fill out the form even if you bypass the NICS check. And if he lied, he'd be guilty of a federal crime for lying on the 4473, something that he should give thought to.

The only way to fix it is for the Feds to change the law.
Exactly what I thought. He would have had to lie on one or the other forms. I am not a user nor have I ever tried it so it wasn't an issue for me but I can sympathize with this guy. I had a hard enough time quitting smoking cigarettes in 1978 ! I still crave one now and then.

Reactions: ramblinrebel

·
913 Posts
Interesting about quitting cigarettes, one eyed shooter. I quit 11 years ago and thought it was easy, but I was comparing it to kicking a morphine addiction I got from a hospital when I was 15.

I never feel the urge to smoke since I quit but I've heard a lot of people do and I have no idea why.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
I have quit several times for long periods of time (10 years in one case); all it took was lighting one up for my sister in law and back to a pack a day within a week. Took several years before I quit for good; that was over 15 years ago. Won't go shoot pool, can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke

·
913 Posts
That's another thing I hear all the time from former smokers, how they can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke.

For me and Mrs. Flash, it's just another smell, not good, not bad, just a smell.

I think it has something to do with making sure you never smoke again but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Now this is a topic I know something about. I have had to quit every thing worth quitting at some point in my checkered past. I never experimented much or long with marijuana, any thing that put me to sleep instead of firing me up to go drinking and chasing women was instantly off the agenda. Of course the drinking had to go by age 27--I was full blown alcoholic, the cigarette smoking had to go by age 27--the only smoking I could do was chain smoking. I still attempt to take up my tobacco pipes on occasion, but it gets out of control quick, and I quit again. The women had to go when I got married at age 36--any of them with a spec of common sense would have nothing to do with me anyway. Today my physical and mental self functions better than perfectly with no foreign substances. I chase after a personal relationship with my creator with all the enthusiasm I once ran from Him. I feel kind of sorry for any one still caught up in any of those behaviors these days, there is ZERO answers to be had, but you can't tell them. Any one is much better off with 300 shotguns, time in the shop and afield, and seeking out the next 200 classics.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting about quitting cigarettes, one eyed shooter. I quit 11 years ago and thought it was easy, but I was comparing it to kicking a morphine addiction I got from a hospital when I was 15.

I never feel the urge to smoke since I quit but I've heard a lot of people do and I have no idea why.
I think the urge to smoke comes from habits formed earlier in life. A cold beer in a friendly tavern shooting pool or playing darts. A cup of good coffee after dinner in the evening. And of course after sharing the charms of a lovely lady (this is/was the most difficult) not so much now as I enter my 8th decade but even the thought still sends me looking for a cigarette.
I did try a cigarette about 2 years ago and the taste was awful so I can not understand the urge, LOL !!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Is it just me, or has the smell of cigarettes changed? The Old Man smoked a pack a day of Winston, most everyday of his life from 14 yrs to 56 yrs old, and died accidentally. He smoked in the car with all us kids, I never remember the cigarettes smelling foul, just more like tobacco. I know nicotine responds to the same meth process that amphetamine does. I always wondered if the tobacco companies of late were toying with it. Heavy smokers seem to smell stronger these days. These days we all know about the dangers of smoking etc. etc. but a good pipe loaded with a quality tobacco is as pleasant now as ever it was. Not really worth the health risks to me though.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
Cigarette tobacco has a LOT of additives and chemicals, some for flavor/taste, other for things like burn characteristics... For a time when I was smoking I liked Sherman's - all natural, they would go out if you put it in an ashtray.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts