Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'd like to hear current views. I was grouse hunting in New Hampshire this past weekend with a group I don't often hunt with. I was surprised to see one of the hunters shoot a bird on the ground. That night we got into a discussion on the ethics of shooting a bird on the ground and I was taken back by how many hunters thought it was fine. The topic strayed to ducks, geese and turkey. Since I don't hunt the latter, I mostly listened and understood their argument pertaining to those, but I feel upland birds should not be shot on the ground. What do you think?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think it takes much of a "hunter" to shoot birds on the ground or turkeys off the limb.

I don't think any one invented trap or skeet to practice shooting a bird sitting on a nest. I've never seen a sporting clays target set up called "sitting rabbit" or fish in a barrel.

Reactions: ramblinrebel

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
As hard as grouse are to even find, let alone shoot on the wing, I can see their viewpoint (although, like I you, I am not a fan of it)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Part of the reason they are hard to find is every one shooting "prairie chickens" on the ground and out of the trees.

Reactions: ramblinrebel

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here in Oregon it sound's like I'm the only one that shoot's on the wing. Everyone I talk to about grouse seem's to prefer the 22RF fo a grouse gun!

·
Registered
113 Posts
A hundred years ago ammo was expensive, the kids were hungry and you needed to put meat on the table. Times have changed. Now I get my meat from the supermarket, ammo is mostly cheap from Wally World and I still refuse to shoot birds on the ground.

Yea ... I'm old school too and don't expect to change anytime soon unless the Republic goes to hell. In that event there are too many of us and not enough wild animals to consider survival hunting unless you add sparrows and robins to the edible list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here in Oregon it sound's like I'm the only one that shoot's on the wing. Everyone I talk to about grouse seem's to prefer the 22RF fo a grouse gun!
I am in Washington and I agree. Not many are on-the-wing purists, but with that said, the forests here are dense, dark, and in many places VERY steep. If one were to limit themselves to shooting "Forest Grouse" as we call them here, on the wing, he or she would very infrequently bag a bird. That said, I prefer to hunt with a shotgun and therefore use a 12GA Beretta 690 Field I choked IM and C if I'm shooting steel, or M and F if I'm shooting lead with heavier more powerful loads to get through the trees. I've actually had better success when shoothing steel, probably because the wider patterns are more effective at covering the birds escape. Not exactly a testament to my shooting skills, but grouse are wily little suckers. They call them the King for a reason! I also hunt over a flusher (golden retriever) who is good at getting the birds up along the roadside.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know this is an older topic but here is my late comments to it anyway.

I hunted with a friend who I tried to discourage about using what I called the "Arkansas technique" on grouse while in ME last year. When in MO that is what any ground swatting of game was called.
I am an absolutely terrible shot on grouse, but have yet to shoot one sitting. That is for starving meat hunters. What is the point of having good dogs and such if you are going to swat them off a limb or road? The guide said he didn't care how we shot them, but I won't shoot them like that. It is too great a game bird to do that. I won't be hunting with that same friend again.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I don't think it takes much of a "hunter" to shoot birds on the ground or turkeys off the limb.

I don't think any one invented trap or skeet to practice shooting a bird sitting on a nest. I've never seen a sporting clays target set up called "sitting rabbit" or fish in a barrel.
FYI your quote about "A sitting rabbit" on a sporting clays course is quite timely.
Last week Mrs. One eye, the colonel and I were at our local SC range and I was in the station when the rabbit came out of the trap went about 10 yards and just stopped, standing on edge ! I was so shocked that I just pulled the trigger and turned it into dust. Mrs. One eye and The colonel teased me about that all day long. What's a guy supposed to do ?

Reactions: Jack Ryan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts