Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both posts above are good advice.
Run buck (#1 or 00 IMHO) for home/self defense. Take it out and shoot enough of the stuff you are going to run in it at home, so that you know how your shotgun patterns and how the shotgun likes it.
A flashlight might be a good idea too, you can get relatievely cheap clamp style shotgun mounts from most online suppliers (CTD, Midway, etc...).

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll concur with the above...00 or #1 buck, in whatever flavor you can find for what you want to pay.

I prefer low recoil, m'self.
I do too to be honest. I like the Remington 16 pellet #1 buck because it is what I call a medium recoil round at 1250 FPS with just under 1 1/2oz of shot.

I always liked Rem buckshot. Even without fancy wads it always gave me best and most uniform patterns. Even their 9 pellet OO buck at 1330fps is a great uniform pattern load.

As always test what will work best for YOU. Thats the fun of owning a gun IMLO....

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for HD, buy a box of everything. there will be one or two that your gun patterns well. Two identical shotguns may not pattern the same ammo the same.
for practice. the bulk packs from wally world are usually pretty hot loads and will hammer on you pretty good. depending on which HD load you find you like, this may be too much, but they are cheap to shoot alot. If you can afford to practice with the HD ammo, go for it.
Dont forget to make a plan, discuss the plan, and train.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Winchester Military Grade 00 buck patterns best out of my shotgun so that is what I use. I got a 50cal ammo can full of it. I also keep a few slugs on the side saddle just for good measure because you never know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts