Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I want a 12 g. semi-auto shotgun for skeet and pheastant hunting. After doing some research -

remmington 1100/11-87 is out because I don`t want to replace an O ring everytime I turn around

stoeger 2000 - cheap, seems to be more reliable with inertia system, but I`ve read about way too many guns that don`t run well out of the box (weak primer strikes, looooong break in period, etc)

saiga 12 - I`d love to have one (have a saiga 7.62X39) as its reliable, the accessories are cool (20 rd drum), but it seems to be the wrong choice for what I want. I could buy some 2 rd magazines but that would get costly, and I wouldn`t want to reload a mag in the field - other shottys all you need to do is pump a few rounds into the well.

so, what should i do? I don`t want to drop $3500 on some crazy thing; I just want a 12 g semi auto that will go bang when i pull the trigger, is easy to clean, won`t break the bank, and is good for hunting/skeet

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive bought my 1977 1100 about 12 years ago. It was well used and I never had an issue with anything, it eats everything and just works well. Last year was the first time I had to replace the o-ring. I noticed it was dry rotted - It really isnt a big deal, its easy to replace.

I love the old Remington they knew how to make a nice firearm.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any recoil operated shotgun will do what you want. I have a Benelli SBE, Remington Model 11 and a number of Browning A-5s. All have done very well for me. Not an O-ring in the bunch.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having owned an 11-87 and the Stoeger I would recommend either one. The O-rings will last several hundred rounds, are cheap, and easy to replace. Remington makes fine shotguns and should not be overlooked. Go for an older one, they have nicer wood on them.
The Stoeger uses the Benelli action and if you don't hold it tight to your shoulder, it will jam, since it is inertia driven.

In a choose one or the other, I'd pick the 11/87. The only reason I don't have mine anymore is that I gave it to my son.:cool:

I bought three of the Stoeger's and gave them as Christmas presents to other family members. They all work great, except one of them exhibits some "pin walking" from the receiver. Not a big issue for what the use them for; occasional sporting clays outings. All in all they are fine guns and reasonably priced.

If you want to know, I shoot a Beretta Extrema now.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Walmart Beretta 390 is a really good deal. I think you may have to put a more comfy recoil pad on it tho.

I have a Win SX3 and love it. My first semi auto. The only birds I have taken with it have been bright orange tho.

Good luck

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have three Remington 1100s myself. If you rule it out because you have to change a $3 o-ring once (maybe twice if you shoot a LOT) a year, I guess that's your loss. :rolleyes:

The 1100 is one of the smoothest shooting semi-auto shotguns ever made.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having owned an 11-87 and the Stoeger I would recommend either one. The O-rings will last several hundred rounds, are cheap, and easy to replace. Remington makes fine shotguns and should not be overlooked. Go for an older one, they have nicer wood on them.
The Stoeger uses the Benelli action and if you don't hold it tight to your shoulder, it will jam, since it is inertia driven.

In a choose one or the other, I'd pick the 11/87. The only reason I don't have mine anymore is that I gave it to my son.:cool:

I bought three of the Stoeger's and gave them as Christmas presents to other family members. They all work great, except one of them exhibits some "pin walking" from the receiver. Not a big issue for what the use them for; occasional sporting clays outings. All in all they are fine guns and reasonably priced.

If you want to know, I shoot a Beretta Extrema now.
Well, maybe the Stoegers do; my Benelli M1S90 will cycle & fire even light trap loads one-handed, no problem.

I highly recommend a Benelli SBEII or a M1/M2...and, for a straight hunting shotgun, the new Vinci is pretty sweet, as well...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Walmart Beretta 390 is a really good deal. I think you may have to put a more comfy recoil pad on it tho.

I have a Win SX3 and love it. My first semi auto. The only birds I have taken with it have been bright orange tho.

Good luck
I didn't get mine at Walmart, but I've been happy with my Beretta 390.
I only hunt birds with it, not much skeet shooting.
For as little as I use it, it was well worth trading the old Browning BPS I had.
I also had a nice Limb Saver recoil pad put on it..

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For a reliable, all-purpose pump shotgun I would recommend the the Mosberg 590. You can always put a plug in the magazine tube temporarily for hunting. Otherwise you get a a decent price on a tactical shotgun with ghost rings. I love mine.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For a reliable, all-purpose pump shotgun I would recommend the the Mosberg 590. You can always put a plug in the magazine tube temporarily for hunting. Otherwise you get a a decent price on a tactical shotgun with ghost rings. I love mine.
I think you missunderstood his needs...

ok, so I want a 12 g. semi-auto shotgun for skeet and pheasant hunting.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
remmington 1100/11-87 is out because I don`t want to replace an O ring everytime I turn around.
Don`t know where you got that info.
The O ring will typically last for Thousands of rounds, easily slips on the magazine tube, and only costs a couple of bucks.
There is a reason why the 1100 is so popular. There is no perfect autoloader.
More Skeet tournaments have been won with the 1100 than any other auto.
Regards, Pete

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For a semi-auto, I like the Benelli Montefeltro (sp). Tried one in 20 and possibly a 12, and man... Fit and finish are excellent. They're soft on the shoulder too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts