Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it, I've been wanting an S12 for awhile now, .... I filed for my tax return right around the same time that the ATF survey was released. And as you are all probably well aware, all the S12's were soon out of stock! So when I got my tax return last week, I couldn't find any for sale, except on gun broker, and they were all overpriced! Long story short, K var got some in and I finally ordered one. Now I gotta wait...:evil:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sweet! I picked-up my first Saiga 12 about a week before all the ATF speculation madness broke out. As soon as I heard all the online chatter, I bought another one. I figured the worst that would happen is that the ATF rumors would be over-blown and I'd end up with an "extra" Saiga 12 for no good reason. :D

I'm almost done with the conversion on the first one now. I'm just waiting on the Chaos rail and for the bolt/carrier to come back from polishing.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet! I picked-up my first Saiga 12 about a week before all the ATF speculation madness broke out. As soon as I heard all the online chatter, I bought another one. I figured the worst that would happen is that the ATF rumors would be over-blown and I'd end up with an "extra" Saiga 12 for no good reason. :D

I'm almost done with the conversion on the first one now. I'm just waiting on the Chaos rail and for the bolt/carrier to come back from polishing.
Wow, what kind of money are you investing?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is you opinion on this trigger conversion kit? I will kinda be on a budget, so this kit seemed appealing in that aspect, plus it comes with a collapsable stock: CONVERSION KIT #2 SAIGA 12

Then I was going to up grade to the Hogue grip:

UPGRADE CONVERSION KIT GRIP TO HOGUE

And finally I was liking this aluminum tri-rail setup: CAROLINA SAIGA 12 TACTICAL BILLET TRI-RAIL

I'm still unsure of which magwell to go with, I want to be able to run magazines as well as drums... Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, what kind of money are you investing?
Umm. Way too much? :D

What is you opinion on this trigger conversion kit? I will kinda be on a budget, so this kit seemed appealing in that aspect, plus it comes with a collapsable stock: CONVERSION KIT #2 SAIGA 12

Then I was going to up grade to the Hogue grip:

UPGRADE CONVERSION KIT GRIP TO HOGUE

And finally I was liking this aluminum tri-rail setup: CAROLINA SAIGA 12 TACTICAL BILLET TRI-RAIL

I'm still unsure of which magwell to go with, I want to be able to run magazines as well as drums... Any advice or opinions are appreciated!
I bought a similar conversion kit from CSS. It has the modified TAPCO FCG, and SAW grip, and I got mine with the CSS billet trigger guard. I also got the CAA aluminum "AR" stock tube with a Magpul CTR, Gunfixer gas plug, Krebs safety lever, Tromix bolt handle, JTE mag release and the Chaos extended quad-rail.

I haven't decided on a magwell either, but the JTE is in the lead at the moment because it works with any magazines or drums.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Umm. Way too much? :D

I bought a similar conversion kit from CSS. It has the modified TAPCO FCG, and SAW grip, and I got mine with the CSS billet trigger guard. I also got the CAA aluminum "AR" stock tube with a Magpul CTR, Gunfixer gas plug, Krebs safety lever, Tromix bolt handle, JTE mag release and the Chaos extended quad-rail.

I haven't decided on a magwell either, but the JTE is in the lead at the moment because it works with any magazines or drums.
Thanks for your input Hooz, I was leaning towards the JTE "Rock & Lock" magazine guide as well. I was wondering have you got the Low brass Reliablity Kit for shooting cheaper Value Pack Ammo? Or are you going to wait until you "break it in." I haven't really priced High brass ammo yet to see if it would be cost efficient upgrade, (the kit runs about $50.) but from what I've read it could take up to 300 rds to break in your gun to were it will shoot the low brass bird shot ammo. I had another question for you, can you lock the bolt back on a factory Saiga? Or is that why you got the Krebs Saftey Lever? Thanks again for your input, and for answering my questions, I plan on doing the basic conversion for now, but I can see where there will be alot of upgrades in the future... this should be a fun project! :D

P.S: I'd like to see some pics of yours if you have any!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not get the low-brass kit. Everything I read said you don't need it, and since I'm doing all the other "reliability" mods, I figured I was probably safe with the regular spring.

For the polishing, I sent the bolt to Pauly's Steelin' Custom Fabrication for his "glass bolt special" (Pauly's Glass Bolt Special!!! - forum.Saiga-12.com).

I got the Krebs safety lever because you can manipulate it (up or down) without breaking your firing grip, not for the ability to lock the bolt.

I'm still debating pulling off the gas block and checking the port sizes. On one hand, I have time to do it since my bolt is off getting polished. On the other, it looks like a not-so-fun job.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link to Pauly's Steelin' Custom Fabrication... the glass bolt special looks like the way to go instead of the low brass kit, I think I will eventually go that route as well. Looks like I just missed out on his introductory sale price, but still seems well worth the money. Thanks again Hooz for your input!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sucks! I hate waiting for orders to arrive. I'm so anxious to get my S12, its supposed to arrive at my FFL tomorrow afternoon, hopefully I can pick it up after work! Oh, I was going to ask you, have you received your bolt/carrier back from Pauly's yet? I'm curious to hear how it turned out!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sucks! I hate waiting for orders to arrive. I'm so anxious to get my S12, its supposed to arrive at my FFL tomorrow afternoon, hopefully I can pick it up after work! Oh, I was going to ask you, have you received your bolt/carrier back from Pauly's yet? I'm curious to hear how it turned out!
Not yet. He said he was running 5-6 days out when I sent mine in. I'm expecting it back in the first half of next week.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got my Saiga 12 today! WOOHOO!!! It actually came in yesterday (Friday) and I went down after work to the local gun shop to pick it up, but there is a gun show and a sportsman show going on this weekend, and all the guys that knew how to put my gun into the system & do the paperwork were down setting up a booth at the gun show. So I had to wait a little longer, but it was worth it.
My fiend and I are planning to go shooting on Monday, so I picked up several boxes of shells to see how well this gun will perform out of the box. I picked up a box of Federal 2-3/4 Hi-brass #4 shot as well as a box of Winchester Super X 2-3/4 Hi-brass #4 shot. I also got two boxes of Federal Power-shok slugs, two boxes of Remington 3" magnum 00 buckshot. So all together I got about 80 rounds I can shoot, I'll post up a range report afterwards for anyone who might be interested. Tomorrow I'll have to make up some targets to shoot, I think I'll take my old truck tailgate out there & see what those slugs will do, ha, ha :twisted:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my friend & I went out shooting yesterday. I had a blast (pun intended). I shot 50 rounds thru my S12 total, and had one failure to eject while shooting the federal #4 shot highbrass 2-3/4" shells. I would have liked to have shot it some more but the weather was getting bad. Also. got to shoot my buddies M&P 15, that was a Sweet gun, hardly any recoil. I put about 15 slugs through my old Toyota tailgate, it left about a 1" diameter hole, it held a tight group at 25 to 30 yds. I definately need to get a rubber recoil pad for it, my shoulder bruised up pretty good today. Anyway I'm really happy with my purchase, and can't wait to start my conversion!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not get the low-brass kit. Everything I read said you don't need it, and since I'm doing all the other "reliability" mods, I figured I was probably safe with the regular spring.

For the polishing, I sent the bolt to Pauly's Steelin' Custom Fabrication for his "glass bolt special" (Pauly's Glass Bolt Special!!! - forum.Saiga-12.com).

I got the Krebs safety lever because you can manipulate it (up or down) without breaking your firing grip, not for the ability to lock the bolt.

I'm still debating pulling off the gas block and checking the port sizes. On one hand, I have time to do it since my bolt is off getting polished. On the other, it looks like a not-so-fun job.
It's really not that bad of a job to do it. Once you get the bolt back it'll probably run fine. If you have a Dremel, touch up the hammer with a polishing wheel and the rails where the bolt slides. You really don't need the Low-brass kit when that's done.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Enlighten me please... What are you "converting"?? I'm not familiar with this weapon, but I would like to be..
The Saiga 12 is a Russian built, semi-auto, magazine fed shotgun. They come in 12, 20 and 410 gauge. They are built in the Izmash factory, the same factory that the AK-47 is built... Basically it is a Ak-47 shotgun. In order for the shotguns to be imported into the U.S, they must be in a "sporting configuration" were basically the trigger group is moved back and a traditional style shotgun buttstock is added. Here is a link to a picture of how they come inported: RAA IZ109 SAIGA 12 GA 19 BB BLK SYN STK $522.00 SHIPS FREE

Once the S-12 is in your possession there is alot of cool aftermarket components that can be added. The first thing most people do is "convert" it back to it's orginal AK styling, which is done by replacing the trigger group (which moves it forward to its original location) and then you can add a aftermarket pistol grip/stock of your choice, or go with an Ak style one. Here is a link to what an S-12 looks like after a conversion and other mods: Red Jacket Firearms

I hope this answers a few of your questions... let me just end by saying, 12 rd and 20 rd drum magazines are also available for these guns... E-nuff said, lol :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts