Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the shotgun sports and trap is the first one I want to try. I want to make sure I'm not "that guy" that does that one thing that annoys everyone else. So, tell me about the unwritten rules of the sport.

For instance, the only shotgun that I own is an auto-loader. The husks don't fly real far, but they might go far enough to hit the guy next to me. Is this rude or just expected? Should I pick them up before changing stations or just kick them out of the way?

Anyway, any tips you have are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my terminology mixed up, I guess. Hulls, casings, shells -- thankfully you knew what I was talking about.
I've also looked into shell/casing catchers -- looks like a $20 solution to the problem, but you have to glue something to your gun :(

I think the local club has voice activated throwers for trap, so I'm pretty sure you can't do much talking without making one fly, anyway -- but, it's good advice. Thanks.

Anyone else want to chime in on what not to do? ;) I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to the local club and shot a practice round. It went terribly. I think I hit 5 out of the 25 that were launched. Just atrocious... a big problem I have is getting on target quick enough. I could feel myself waiting for that perfect sight picture, but by the time I was on it, the bird was descending and I would over shoot it. At least, that's what I think was happening.

Anyway, the funny part of the round was on station 4. The empty would kick out of my auto-loader and hit the microphone stand for station 5; causing another bird to fly, immediately. The first time it happened it was a fluke. By the 4th time, I could tell this was a problem that I need to fix before I shoot with anyone else.

So, I need a shell catcher. However, before I spend the $20 to glue something onto my gun, I've read somewhere that a big rubber band can perform the same duty. However, I'm not sure where to put it. I imagine you have to put it in front of the charging handle. Can anyone comment on this and "show me" where to put the rubber band? Pictures or video would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this may seem like the most obvious thing in the world, but from one newbie to another....

i've been shooting trap at my local range for a little over a month now (about once a week on average), and so far i've had a field/bay to myself every time, except of course for the range officer who is there to monitor safety and give advice if necessary. the first time i shot trap, again, i was the only one there, and the range officer was giving me some tips overall. at one point, he said "you might want to turn yourself a little more downrange" as i was reloading--- there was no one else around so i didn't even think about it, but as i was getting used to handling my new gun, i was holding it somewhat sideways to reload. if someone else had been shooting in that same bay, i would have been roughly pointing it in their general direction. i know it sounds ridiculous, but for some reason the feel and act of reloading the shotgun didn't seem at all like reloading a handgun or rifle, so it didn't even dawn on me that i wasn't pointing it straight downrange when reloading. duh!
Always good advice. Muzzle awareness is something that's easy to overlook -- especially when you're having fun, but that boomstick in your hands is dangerous.

Thanks for the reminder!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts