Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the shotgun sports and trap is the first one I want to try. I want to make sure I'm not "that guy" that does that one thing that annoys everyone else. So, tell me about the unwritten rules of the sport.

For instance, the only shotgun that I own is an auto-loader. The husks don't fly real far, but they might go far enough to hit the guy next to me. Is this rude or just expected? Should I pick them up before changing stations or just kick them out of the way?

Anyway, any tips you have are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hulls no, casings yes, but pick them up when you're all done.

Don't talk, save it for later. Unless you need help, your only word should be PULL! :cool:

Also, keep the gun with the action open until you're at the line, only one shell (if singles) at a time.

Have fun!

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my terminology mixed up, I guess. Hulls, casings, shells -- thankfully you knew what I was talking about.
I've also looked into shell/casing catchers -- looks like a $20 solution to the problem, but you have to glue something to your gun :(

I think the local club has voice activated throwers for trap, so I'm pretty sure you can't do much talking without making one fly, anyway -- but, it's good advice. Thanks.

Anyone else want to chime in on what not to do? ;) I would appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
There is a nice trap and skeet club here in Austin that I would like to go checkout myself. So any info y'all could provide for us noobies would be greatly appreciated so that we don't look like idiots out there :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hard to explain, but you'll figure it out once you get through a couple rounds... You want to try and keep a pace, and you'll get a feel for it.

It kind of throws you off when you hear:

Pull!...
Pull!...
Pull!...
Oh, me? Pull!...
Pull!...

:)

One other thing I thought of, don't be afraid to move the microphone stand to suit you at each station. I'm a lefty so I have to move it to the other side of the 'box'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure each club has their own nuances. This was my first summer in a league and there was much advice given from the other members. I think the most beneficial thing I had was to be receptive to their feedback and realize they are trying to help and not criticize. Or as I've learned in my few short years, separate message from delivery :).

I learned that not messing up the flow is more important than just about anything else. If you drop a shell, don't bend over to get it, = make sure you carry some spares so you can finish the round. Make sure you have your shooting glasses, ear pro, shells, gun, etc ready, so you don't delay starting the round. But most importantly, be safe and have fun.

I'm using my Remington 870 (the only 12ga I have right now).

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I'm new to the shotgun sports and trap is the first one I want to try. I want to make sure I'm not "that guy" that does that one thing that annoys everyone else. So, tell me about the unwritten rules of the sport.

For instance, the only shotgun that I own is an auto-loader. The husks don't fly real far, but they might go far enough to hit the guy next to me. Is this rude or just expected? Should I pick them up before changing stations or just kick them out of the way?

Anyway, any tips you have are appreciated. Thanks!
Great questions. As always, don't be embarrassed to ask questions... I wondered this myself!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, maybe this is or isn't the proper thread for this question, but here goes......

What exactly is the difference between shooting, Trap, Sporting Clays, and Skeet?

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to the local club and shot a practice round. It went terribly. I think I hit 5 out of the 25 that were launched. Just atrocious... a big problem I have is getting on target quick enough. I could feel myself waiting for that perfect sight picture, but by the time I was on it, the bird was descending and I would over shoot it. At least, that's what I think was happening.

Anyway, the funny part of the round was on station 4. The empty would kick out of my auto-loader and hit the microphone stand for station 5; causing another bird to fly, immediately. The first time it happened it was a fluke. By the 4th time, I could tell this was a problem that I need to fix before I shoot with anyone else.

So, I need a shell catcher. However, before I spend the $20 to glue something onto my gun, I've read somewhere that a big rubber band can perform the same duty. However, I'm not sure where to put it. I imagine you have to put it in front of the charging handle. Can anyone comment on this and "show me" where to put the rubber band? Pictures or video would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, you don't really aim in trap... you point and shoot.

That said, there's a reason guys spend 1000's on trap guns, to make them fit. Otherwise all shotguns do the same thing, it's just getting them to hit where you want, when you want.

It'll just take some practice to learn where your gun pattern is at... Go to a range that will let you fire at a large piece of cardboard so you can see where your gun is aiming, it may be lower or higher than you think. This will help you figure out where you need to aim to hit the 'bird'.

Hope that helps for next time around, glad you got out there!

Not my photo, but here's an example of what you want to accomplish:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never used an auto-loader but there was a plastic clip that most folks used on their 1100 and 11-87 guns that just clipped on - no glue.

Etiquette tips (in addition to what's been posted):

- Some guys are real funny about talking, even between rounds. At my first registered trap shoot I started talking about scores in between fields. I don't think those guys ever talked to me again.

- Be still until it's your turn to mount the gun and shoot. It's distracting when you're about to call for a bird and you see the guy next to you wiggling his gun.

- In skeet or sporting clays, don't talk while another shooter is on his station.

Although most shooters are friendly and will be glad to help or give advice, there are some old farts (especially in trap) who are just plain hard to get along with. Just ignore them. There's nothing you can do to make them pleasant.

Asking an old hand for tips is a great way to learn. You can learn more in one round with someone who knows what he's doing than by shooting case after case by yourself. Most clubs have plenty of guys who will help you out.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
many clubs demand a means to catch hulls on semi-autos as a courtesy to others.
btw...that pic is my pic from shotgun world. its how i catch em on my super x.

·
Registered
23 Posts
this may seem like the most obvious thing in the world, but from one newbie to another....

i've been shooting trap at my local range for a little over a month now (about once a week on average), and so far i've had a field/bay to myself every time, except of course for the range officer who is there to monitor safety and give advice if necessary. the first time i shot trap, again, i was the only one there, and the range officer was giving me some tips overall. at one point, he said "you might want to turn yourself a little more downrange" as i was reloading--- there was no one else around so i didn't even think about it, but as i was getting used to handling my new gun, i was holding it somewhat sideways to reload. if someone else had been shooting in that same bay, i would have been roughly pointing it in their general direction. i know it sounds ridiculous, but for some reason the feel and act of reloading the shotgun didn't seem at all like reloading a handgun or rifle, so it didn't even dawn on me that i wasn't pointing it straight downrange when reloading. duh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this may seem like the most obvious thing in the world, but from one newbie to another....

i've been shooting trap at my local range for a little over a month now (about once a week on average), and so far i've had a field/bay to myself every time, except of course for the range officer who is there to monitor safety and give advice if necessary. the first time i shot trap, again, i was the only one there, and the range officer was giving me some tips overall. at one point, he said "you might want to turn yourself a little more downrange" as i was reloading--- there was no one else around so i didn't even think about it, but as i was getting used to handling my new gun, i was holding it somewhat sideways to reload. if someone else had been shooting in that same bay, i would have been roughly pointing it in their general direction. i know it sounds ridiculous, but for some reason the feel and act of reloading the shotgun didn't seem at all like reloading a handgun or rifle, so it didn't even dawn on me that i wasn't pointing it straight downrange when reloading. duh!
Always good advice. Muzzle awareness is something that's easy to overlook -- especially when you're having fun, but that boomstick in your hands is dangerous.

Thanks for the reminder!

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
wait until you have 4 others around you. its gonna feel crowded. and trust me, they will all be watching you until they get to know you.

Reactions: BigSkiff

·
Registered
28 Posts
It sounds like you have a regular club to shoot at. You might ask at the club when other trap shooters usually shoot. Show up on that day and ask if you can shoot with them. Be up front about the fact that your new and would welcome any pointers they might offer. Most guys that shoot trap are reasonably serious shooters but most of them like to share their knowledge. As was said before there are always a few that are going to be cranky no mater what.

When you are on the line keep your talking to a minimum, pull is generally all that you should be saying out loud. Always practice good gun safety. Keep your action open until you are ready to shoot. Always keep your barrel pointed in a safe direction, either downrange, or toward the ground or sky. Never cross or sweep another person with your barrel. Always unload your gun anytime time is called or someone walks out in front of the firing line. This happens frequently at some clubs when the trap is malfunctioning. Unless you are shooting doubles, never put more than one round in your gun. Only two for doubles. Never put a round in your gun until you are at the line and preparing to shoot. Pick up your spent shells after the round (25) is over or manually extract them from the gun and place them in a pouch or shell bucket by your station. Take all 25 shells with you when you go to your first station to shoot. You will shoot five rounds at each station and then move to the next. You do not want to run back to the bench to get more ammo between stations.

One more quick word about advice. You will get tons of it! A lot of it will seem contradictory ........... because it is. Every shotgun shooter is different. As such it is optimal to have your gun fit to you and your body size and shape. When people start giving you advice, listen to them, try it out and see if will work for you. Not all of it will. Don't be afraid to try a few different things. Keep what works for you and discard what doesn't. If you are really serious about learning to shot trap well then also spend some time watching the instructional videos by the current masters of the sport. They are packed with good advice. Again, not all of it will work for you. So don't be frustrated when one of them say do this or do that and it doesn't work. Again, keep what works and discard what doesn't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A tip - when using your auto loader.... you should (will) develop a sequence as all trap shooters do....example _
-you shoot.
-take your gun off the shoulder - -- place a shell in the loading port but do not close the action....
When the fellow in front (on your left) of you shoots - on the report of his gun shot close your action.... mount your gun call for the target.

When a voice activated system releases a target it generally takes 2 seconds to reset, that is why you should close your action on the sound of the shot as the voice system is not set and will not throw a target. If you close the action on your auto when the machine is set it may throw a target.

Also, since you are new, while other shooters are shooting do not practice your gun mount or track targets... just not polite....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts