Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting with and shooting shotguns for over fifty years and have never been concerned with the fit of my guns.I just buy one and take it shooting.If it works I just go with it.So I am wondering what do these terms mean and how do you measure for them?How do they effect the fit of your chosen gun?
I feel I am not to old to learn something new and all though it may be to late to help me, there may be others here that are wondering about how to fit a gun to a shooter too.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cast

Might as well throw "cast" into the discussion.
As I understand it, length of pull is the horizontal distance from trigger to the back of stock, drop at comb is the vertical distance from the line of sight of the barrel to where your hand goes, drop at heel is vertical distance from the line of sight of the barrel to the back end of the stock. Someone correct me if thats not right.
Cast means the stock veers off to the right or left to compensate for the distance from your shoulder to your eye. I think "cast off" is for righties and "cast on" is for lefties.

I bought a Benelli Montefeltro that came with shims to adjust the cast and drop at heel. Played with the shims and for the first time in my life, I did not have to hunt for the bead. Get it adjusted right and when you throw the gun up to you shoulder, you are right on the line of sight of the barrel. My shooting improved with these adjustments. If a rightie threw my gun up to their shoulde, they might think the barrel is crooked.

Being left handed, I now look at the cast of the stock. A lot of European doubles come with a fixed cast for righties.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
jack, the more the drop at the heal, the closer you eye is to seeing where the bbl is really pointing. less drop, like a monte carlo, makes you look down on the bbl, which sends the shot higher since your bbl is elevated.

Reactions: jackdaniels

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's guys for the info.
bobski I see what you mean.When I sight down my 870 I have to scrunch my face down hard on the stock to see down the length of barrel to the front bead.When I fire the gun I can sure feel it on my cheek bone.What would be the cure for this problem?Do you change the stock are carve away some wood or ??

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
buy a gun designed to eliminate that kick with science, math, and engineering. thats why good shotguns are expensive.
you can tweek an expensive gun to be perfect, but to take a cheaper gun and make it perfect requires ground up engineering.
fastest and best way to eliminate kick is to add weight to the gun.

Reactions: jackdaniels
1 - 7 of 7 Posts