Shotgun Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Vizla Daisy, a runt rescued so she would not be put down. She was a hunting dog not just birds.

My springer Bosco, a hard headed male a rescued from the pound pup.

My yellow lab Jewel, rescued pound pup a back up to Daisy and Bosco and a want to be lap dog.

This a chocolate lab Chip, wife bought for our son despite my objections he would not take care of her. I proved right and took care of her. She was gun shy but once you got her calmed down would retrieve birds all day long.

All four of the above are waiting for me to join them at a later date. We did have some great times while they were with me.

Last spring the wife felt I once again need a hunting dog. So after rejecting many as to costly or having bobbed tails I allowed her buy me a Ryman Style English setter. She also bought me a pair on new knees spread over the summer so I could keep up with the pup.

We named her stormy, born during a major snow storm where 14 inches of snow fell. We had been having 60F and 70F temps for a month, when we went to look at her the high for the day was 40F with a wind chill of 29F. The day we went to pick her up to bring her home it rained all the way to the kennel and all the way back home.

Since I was recovering from knee surgery all summer I was not able to work with her as a pup. that was left up to my Kare who has different Ideas from mine.

I live in what in the 1960's was considered the pheasant capital of Michigan. Those days are long gone and no effort by the DNR to restore those days either.
Only pheasants I see today are raised by a friend who plants them for his own pleasure.

:D Al

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Been a while since I've been on the site. Computer blew a gasket and I couldn't remember all the sites I was on. I lost my Bodie Jan 11, 2017, boy I miss him. Squirt is getting old now, 11 this year and getting stove up with arthritis. Stormy has really come on for me. In fact so well that rather than a GSP for my last dog, I've got a R. Setter pup on order for next spring. Well that still could turn into a R. Setter and a GSP puppy, loved my GSP's. got a few new photo's of Stormy, fairly recent. First one he's point a set up I put out with two birds in it. Second is him watching the first bird fly away. Third is the second bird flying away.

He's is really quite a dog, one of the best!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Six years later and another Red Setter, Sis. Got her in Minnesota in May; flew back to get her. This will probably be my last dog at my age, just worry about her out living me!

Really loving this little girl. She's really sweet!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
No new dog photo's since 2018! That's terrible. so here's my new one, Sis.Went back to Minnesota to get her. Couldn't stand the idea of her in the cargo hold of a plane over three hours so flew back and brought her home in the cabin! Really a nice pup, ten months now! I think she's gonna make a nice dog though! Ordering in about 100 day old chukar this spring, planted birds are about all there is to hunt around here anymore.

Let's see some more dog's!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Traveling pointer

Buckshot The Traveling Pointer. :)
Ive been all over the country with this dog over the last 10 years. Loved every minute out there with him. From South Dakota,to Arizona, Washington, Oregon, and home country in Lewiston Idaho. Dropping California, Gamble, Scale and Mearn quail, chukar, pheasant, ruffled and blue grouse, huns and dove. We've had a ball over the years. We'll be heading to Owyhee Wilderness area this year in search of a new chukar haven.
Buckshots been with me through thick and thin, good times and bad. Truly the best companion ive ever had over the years. At 12 years old come this hunting season, I know hes on the down hill slide rolling fast. I keep telling him "Thanks for another year." "Thanks For all the memories you've given me." I didnt pick this dog. He chose me on a cool january morning 11 years ago in Lincoln Nebraska. Trained by Nationally recognized trainer Jim Keller ( RIP 10-4-2016 ) of Keller Gun Dogs. I Truly have been blessed to be a part of this dogs life.

for those who enjoy moving pics... please feel free to check out any of our travels.
https://www.youtube.com/user/rhfuller2003/videos

Thanks for letting me reminisce with you guys

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Stormy and Sis are parent's now. This was the last pup sent to new home, little female!

Here she is trying out a wing on a string at 11 wks.

Cover doesn't bother her, didn't bother any of them for that matter!

Male pup my son kept at nine wks doing a wing on a string

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Really old post but a few new dog photo's. Got another Red Setter some time back, Sis.

Stormy and her became friend's and he's a dad now and she's a mom!

Pup my son kept! He calls him Chance and I call him Sinkerdoodle. Really upset the kid!

Pup that went to Tacoma, Wash. Moira

Eight month's old, pup that went to Colorado Springs. Bliss

21 - 40 of 40 Posts