Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course. I shoot reduced recoil buckshot (and slugs for that matter) and find little to no difference in recoil compared to shooting bulk bird shot (such as the Federal value pack). I do shoot a fair amount of buckshot, especially at training classes. But most of my weekend range practice is with bird shot or slugs.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tend to play with birdshot as it's much cheaper.

the extra thump from a good buckshot load usually doesn't bother me much.

unless they're 3" Magnums...those have little more punch :)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mostly shoot birdshot for practice. It's far cheaper and therefore it allows me to stock up on good HD ammo. I do tend to mix in some 00 buck and perhaps slugs with the birdshot though.

I've never been in a situation where I had to use any gun for defensive purposes, but I think it's safe to say that in such a situation with all the adrenaline you won't notice recoil near as much as you would when practicing.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope...I practice with birdshot. Shotguns are point and shoot. I'm not saying there isn't aiming involved, I'm saying pinpoint accuracy it not a big deal with one (get a shot in a torso and you're doing fine...and that's a pretty big target at 8-12'), especially at the short distances found in the home.

With that said...I believe muscle memory concerning the pump action are essential...as it weapon handling. I run cheap-o $22/100rds target loads through mine. I do run 00 buck from time to time in the form of $4/5rds Win military surplus but not the more expensive Hornady TAP I keep loaded in it...it would cost a fortune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts