Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
enjoy shooting your shotgun??!!
just got a Remington 870 and although my shoulder is bruised up i still love it! had so much fun haha, id show u my target if there was anything left of it!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have fun shooting mine but i use mine primarily for hunting. i used to love it when i was younger, then i was old enough to get a handgun and lost interest

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shooting a shotgun is very enjoyable. To prevent shoulder bruising you can try these tips.

1. Square your shoulders to the target more than you would with a rifle. Otherwise the butt will slide past the optimal spot.

2. Have the butt rest on your outer pectoralis muscle, above the arm pit and below the lateral part of the clavicle.

3. Do not let the butt slip laterally or into the arm pit. If the butt rests on the biceps tendon you could get injured.

4. If you are bruised, wait a week or until the pain goes away. You will get accustomed to it.

5. Shoot light skeet loads for practice.

6. Raise the stock up to the cheek, instead of lowering your face to the comb. You will be more comfortable and have less cheek slap.

7. Wear good ear plugs. Ear muffs will get in the way.

8. Try to stay loose and balanced at all times.

9. If you have a sharp pain while shooting at the range, do not shoot through it. Adrenaline can mask some pain, so you could injure yourself if you continue.

10. Use good form for every shot and soon muscle memory will take over.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, the best thing I have bought for any of my weapons was the Knoxx Spec-ops double recoil stock/pistol grip for my 870 express.

It really tames that brutal shotty to something even my small wife can shoot.

Worth the money.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do enjoy shooting my shotgun, just a plain jane Mossberg 500. Helps that live only 12 minutes from an awesome facility, take a look: Arizona Game & Fish Department - Ben Avery Clay Target Center | Trap | Skeet | Sporting Clays

Very reasonable prices for traps, and have rarely been able to beat their price on shells - box of 25 for $6 tax in.

A bonus is that they loan (free!) 870s with paid rounds. So my son usually goes with me and shoots their 20 gauge 870s - we always have fun. In fact I got NRA certified last year so that can help out with our Boy Scout Troop when go to same facility for trap nights. More fun :)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tuck it in tight, lean into it.

Learning proper technique makes it possible for my buddy's 13 year old daughter to fire a M500 with absolutely no issues...she's pretty darn good at busting clays, and knocking down pheasants, too.

A Knoxx just makes one not need to learn proper form, and equipment is never a good substitute for training.

ETA--and yes, I enoy shooting all of my shotguns--all 12ga, and none with Knoxx.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts