Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to shot shell reloading and have not figured out all the tricks of the trade yet. I thought I was following a "recipe" perfectly, however, the crimps are too deep. It appears the top rim of the wad is 1/8" below the crimp bevel, thus the deep crimp. I have only loaded 2 shells, as something is not right. My gut is telling me the stack needs to be 1/8" longer for the crimp to be correct. The following is what I doing:

12 Gauge
Hull: Federal Top Gun, 2-3/4"
Primer: W209
Powder: Alliant Red Dot
Charge: 18 Grains
Wad: CB2118-12
Shot: 1-1/8oz #8
Loader: Lee Load All II

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tusker02

·
975 Posts
I just downloaded a Lee Load All II owner's manual and the bad news is that the crimp isn't adjustable according to the manual. It states that if you have this problem, you should use a longer wad. The text in red I copied from the manual. It looks like your wad is around 0.050" too short.

IMPORTANT A good crimp can only be obtained if the wad is the correct length. After the shot is added, there should be about 1/2 inch of shell above the shot on a 12 gauge; about 7/16 inch for the 20 gauge; and just slightly more for the 16 gauge. If the crimp is too deep with a hole in the center, use a longer wad. Mashed in crimps or crushed cases indicate the wad should be shorter.

Unfortunate, but it looks like that's the way it is.

I'm sure you don't want to hear it but it's easily correctable if you have a loader that has adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Are you sure you are dropping 1-1/8n and not merely 1oz? (Have you weighed you powder and shot charges?)

What wad is that? Alliant shows a CB 6118-12, not a 2118 for 1-1/8 oz of Red Dot. They also do not show that primer and wad and powder combination, so where did this load data come from?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check some other load data manuals something is not right {like oneounceload said} With a Win AA hull and that load and a Winchester wad 1 1/8 shot
that load and crimp comes out prefect.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have loaded on Lee Load Alls for several years and every attempt to load a Federal plastic field shell ended this way, regardless of components. Pick up some cork overshot wads from Ballistic Products and place one under the crimp.

·
Registered
110 Posts
LeeLoadAll's have no positive stop at the bottom of the stroke. Loading is done by "feel". Unfortunately "feel" is something that is learned over a period of time and new reloaders do not have it yet. You could try not seating the wad so hard, you could be crushing the legs more then necessary creating the extra room you have for shot. You could save up your money and a great deal of frustration and buy a MEC 600Jr. Its fully adjustable on all stations and has a positive stop.

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another thing you could do is buy a 1 oz. wad for that hull, it will have longer legs and possibly solve this issue.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have loaded on Lee Load Alls for several years and every attempt to load a Federal plastic field shell ended this way, regardless of components Pick up some cork overshot wads from Ballistic Products and place one under the crimp.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There is no such issue with my current reloader, a MEC 600jr, or with my brother's PW 375. I think the Lee does not support the Federal case well enough in the top of the crimp die to displace the necessary plastic into the crimp area. Too tall a wad column in the Lee, and I get crimps opening from pressure after time, probably the same basic cause. The Lee Load All will do a fantastic job with Federal papers though, as good as anybody else's reloader for a lot less money. I was never completely satisfied with plastic case reloads in the Lee, try as I might.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just downloaded a Lee Load All II owner's manual and the bad news is that the crimp isn't adjustable according to the manual. It states that if you have this problem, you should use a longer wad. The text in red I copied from the manual. It looks like your wad is around 0.050" too short.

IMPORTANT A good crimp can only be obtained if the wad is the correct length. After the shot is added, there should be about 1/2 inch of shell above the shot on a 12 gauge; about 7/16 inch for the 20 gauge; and just slightly more for the 16 gauge. If the crimp is too deep with a hole in the center, use a longer wad. Mashed in crimps or crushed cases indicate the wad should be shorter.

Unfortunate, but it looks like that's the way it is.

I'm sure you don't want to hear it but it's easily correctable if you have a loader that has adjustments.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure you are dropping 1-1/8n and not merely 1oz? (Have you weighed you powder and shot charges?)

What wad is that? Alliant shows a CB 6118-12, not a 2118 for 1-1/8 oz of Red Dot. They also do not show that primer and wad and powder combination, so where did this load data come from?
Funny you mention the 6118 wad. That is exactly the one that I think I need based on the dimensions, however, I think it is discontinued or something because I can’t find it in stock anywhere. I’m not sure of the load data reference. It was from a powder vendor table. However it called for 19 grains. I went low to 18 for the first round. Maybe 19 will add the volume to raise the wad. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have loaded on Lee Load Alls for several years and every attempt to load a Federal plastic field shell ended this way, regardless of components. Pick up some cork overshot wads from Ballistic Products and place one under the crimp.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LeeLoadAll's have no positive stop at the bottom of the stroke. Loading is done by "feel". Unfortunately "feel" is something that is learned over a period of time and new reloaders do not have it yet. You could try not seating the wad so hard, you could be crushing the legs more then necessary creating the extra room you have for shot. You could save up your money and a great deal of frustration and buy a MEC 600Jr. Its fully adjustable on all stations and has a positive stop.

Steve
Thanks. Will try that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Just wanted to follow up. I did find some CB6118-12 wads and they worked perfectly. Perfect crimp! Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts