Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here so hello to all...

I Wanted to see if the wise here could help me with one of my projects. I have only read about commercial 12 gauge 2" loads as I never have seen any for sale. So I have converted an old lee load all to crimp a short cut hull so as to create a 2" shell from a standard shell. I simply cut the shell top, take out the shot and either alter the wad or replace the wad with old school felt wad to get the correct level for the crimp. 1/2" of wad seems to give me the desired level for a 2" crimp. I have no chronograph to test fps but so far they load flawlessly in my SD 500 pump and seem to shoot fine, I can't seem to tell a difference and I can now fit 9+ rounds in the mag! Am I sacrificing power for capacity? I was hoping that I can get the same amount of power because I am still using the same powder charge and the same exact load. Do I lose any power with the altered, thinner wadding? How much wad is actually needed? Is anything sacrificed or is this a win win? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not any expert on the matter by any means, but the only way to really tell is to test it on some Ballistic Gel, and get a Chronograph. I would imagine the reduced weight of the wad would actually increase the velocity to some degree, but like I said, I'm no expert

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
the question that begs asking is...why cut it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the question that begs asking is...why cut it?
So I can crimp it to a 2" shell and can get more rounds in the mag. I'm trying to get the same power out of a shorter round and plan on loading them in a HD pump. It Might be overkill but I like the idea of having more in the mag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not any expert on the matter by any means, but the only way to really tell is to test it on some Ballistic Gel, and get a Chronograph. I would imagine the reduced weight of the wad would actually increase the velocity to some degree, but like I said, I'm no expert
It just occurred the me that the over powder card and felt wad probably weighs MORE than the factory plastic power piston, though its Probably an insignificant difference for my purpose.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
youre putting a 2" hull in a gun with a 2 3/4" chamber. have you ever given that any thought?
2" hulls were designed for low impact low pressure in (euro) guns.
if youre gonna load a 2" hot, and blast it thru a 2 3/4" chamber...think about it........
youre gonna get blowback out the wazing.
ever wonder what a crimp does? ever wonder why you dont put a 3" in a 2 3/4" chamber? 2" is just the opposite. the 3" crimp will get blown off and the 2" will be short.
the crimp must seat against the chamber ring for a gas tight fit....so the hulls I.D. load will transfer to the bore I.D.
youre asking a 2" hulls crimp to stop short of a seat when it blooms...and asking the wad/whatever to jump to the bore! and isnt a mossy 500 a 3" chamber? holy cow, you want it to jump a whole 1"?

so you need more shells. when do ever see yourself shooting 1/2 a box of shells in one episode?
zombies dont exist!
good luck. god help you.
i hope i discourged you.
if not....hey at least i can sleep at night knowing i warned you.

Reactions: icemanls2
1 - 6 of 6 Posts