Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I bought a used Winchester 1300, with a standard hunting barrel, in hopes that I could make it into a tactical shotgun for around the house. I bought a used 1300 defender barrel for it but then found that the mounting ring on the barrel required a longer magazine tube. I bought a Choate magazine extension only to find out it doesn't fit through the barrel ring. I called Choate and was told it was never intended to work like that. So, what do I do? Does another tube extension company make what I'm looking for? Do I get a gunsmith to turn the Choate tube extension to take about 1mm off the thickness? Do I need to replace the entire, original, magazine tube, with a defender tube from Winchester? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all. I bought a used Winchester 1300, with a standard hunting barrel, in hopes that I could make it into a tactical shotgun for around the house. I bought a used 1300 defender barrel for it but then found that the mounting ring on the barrel required a longer magazine tube. I bought a Choate magazine extension only to find out it doesn't fit through the barrel ring. I called Choate and was told it was never intended to work like that. So, what do I do? Does another tube extension company make what I'm looking for? Do I get a gunsmith to turn the Choate tube extension to take about 1mm off the thickness? Do I need to replace the entire, original, magazine tube, with a defender tube from Winchester? Thanks.
To use the Defender barrel you need to replace the magazine tube with a Defender magazine tube. The 1300's mag tube is different from anything else you'll encounter. It isn't brazed in like a Remington nor is it threaded in like a Mossberg but it is held in place by a pressed in plastic "throat". I've never replaced one but it seems to be an event. There are several written accounts of the process with some very good tips. Search out those posts, read about the process and then decide if it is something you want to pursue. Another and much easier option is to just get another barrel (with the ring in the same place as your current barrel) shorten it and THEN add the Choate extension. That will be your easiest and cheapest way to accomplish your goal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts