Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For context, I'm not the most experienced skeet shooter, I've probably been about 12 times. This morning I took my girlfriend skeet shooting. Since she's never shot a firearm she wanted to just throw for me and watch me shoot the first time we went.

The issue is we get on the range and she can't get a single clay out of the thrower to save her life. This is the thrower we were using. I had her try it with just one thrower or with both throwers attached and still no luck. I had her try one handed like a tennis racket and 2 handed like a baseball bat. Still no dice. We eventually resorted to her throwing them by hand like a frisbee but they weren't near as smooth or accurate.

It was pretty cold (around 45 degrees) which may have played a part but I had no issue throwing clays with it. I also was struggling to try and tell her what was wrong with her form. I'm sure she's strong enough as she goes to the gym with me.

Anyone have any ideas on:
  1. A thrower that would require little to no form or strength? (I looked at the clay cannon but it had terrible reviews)
  2. How to teach her to throw?
All replies are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,284 Posts
You've got to snap your wrist at the end or your swing with that thrower.

Maybe one of the small mechanical ones? These are about $40.00 or so.

My brother had one like this for years: Amazon.com : SME Clay Target Thrower No Battery Required, Throws Singles or Doubles, FCT : Sports & Outdoors

It wasn't nearly as challenging as a real trap in a skeet field, but it was fun nonetheless.

I used to hold my O/U open in my left hand and shells in my right and yell pull. Then I'd load up, snap the gun shut and shoot. That made it more challenging.

Musical instrument Wood Trigger Art Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

My brother had one like this for years: Amazon.com : SME Clay Target Thrower No Battery Required, Throws Singles or Doubles, FCT : Sports & Outdoors

It wasn't nearly as challenging as a real trap in a skeet field, but it was fun nonetheless.

I used to hold my O/U open in my left hand and shells in my right and yell pull. Then I'd load up, snap the gun shut and shoot. That made it more challenging.

View attachment 15184
Man you are preaching to the choir about snapping the wrist. I was literally standing behind her trying to guide her through backswing, snapping the wrist, and follow through. I tried to get her to step into it and had her try all sorts of things. No luck but plenty of frustration for her.

I was hoping to find something hand held that she could use. I like to shoot at a public shotgun pit near me and don't want to lug around a mechanical one. Still, if there no other option it might have to happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,284 Posts
Every hand thrower I've ever seen required you to snap your wrist so I'm out of ideas for now. If I stumble on something I'll post it here.

·
Registered
577 Posts
When I was a kid, we had one of the mounted throwers like Flash showed. We had a few different hand throwers and one of them had a spring you cocked, This one doesn't have that, but does have a pivot point that might help. It is made by Birchwood Casey.

Good luck.

EDITED: eBay has a bunch of vintage type throwers. I think I am thinking of an old Winchester thrower, but I could be wrong. Take a look there too.

Tool Font Circle Symbol Logo

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts

View attachment 15184
Mine was similar and made by Trius, IIRC, it was called the One Step. Unfortunately, where I lived in NV, the ground was mostly decomposed granite so those feet were useless; I tried building a box for them and filled it with QuikCrete, but then it got too heavy so I just joined the local gun club

1 - 8 of 8 Posts