Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the new remington express tactical(the one with the breacher choke) would a person be able to put improved cylinder and modified chokes on this shotgun.

if so, what would be a good type/brand to put on so it would be able to shoot slugs and buckshot, not just bird shot.

trying to learn about chokes....any advice would be much appreciated! thanks;)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'd leave it the way it is an open cylinder bore for all around versatility.. If you were to just have to have one a modified works for me on my el cheapo Mav88 for a lil of everything.... If you want tight patterns and still keep the versitile cylinder bore ya got then invest in good quality buck light fedral with flight control or Hornady blue hulls.....happy hunting..8)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so...you can just use certain buck shot rounds that keep a tight pattern?

i just always see that those 870 Police shotguns have I/C barrels...so i thought maybe that'd be better.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Box O' Truth #44 - Shotgun Chokes and Buckshot - Page 1

The Box O Truth shows that chokes barely have any affect on buckshot. Different brands of buckshot makes more difference than the choke.

That being said, I picked up an Express Tactical. One of the biggest reasons I got it was 1.) The only shotgun I could find that had a short barrel, threaded for chokes, and sights, and 2.) I got a great great deal on it. I took off the choke that came with it, because I wanted to cut down the overall length. I have a modified in mine. The reason I like this shotgun is because if the SHTF, I can grab this shotgun and a couple different chokes, and use it for anything, including any kind of hunting (try shootin a turkey at 40 yards with an improved cylinder!)

As for specific chokes- it's totally a myth that you can't use tighter chokes with slugs- but accuracy might suffer. I have a Remington modified choke. I find that it works excellent with birdshot, perfectly fine with buckshot, and just fine with slugs.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so...you can just use certain buck shot rounds that keep a tight pattern?

i just always see that those 870 Police shotguns have I/C barrels...so i thought maybe that'd be better.
The shotgun you have already is an improved cylinder isn't it?

Anyway, if you have an improved cylinder, the best option is just to use dedicated proven defense rounds such as Federal Tactical buckshot. It has flight control wadding and keeps a tight pattern. Most any good quality self defense round would suffice.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I even shot my Rem Tac Express I put on a RemChoke Imp. Cyl. I couldn't stand the look of that hunk of ugly metal hanging off the front of it. Plus it snags on everything, including the soft case.
-Thomas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts