Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what manufacturers folks recommend for a choke tube set. If like a decent set but not merriment top of the line.
Recently purchased my first shotgun: winchester 101 Xtra, 12ga
Will mostly be using for sporting clays but figure a set will give more flexibility than buying individually
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
Welcome from Florida. I have never seen chokes sold as a set as everyone has different needs and uses. What chokes came with your gun?> Is there something wrong with them?
Skeet can be shot with a C, SK, or IC; trap with a M, IM, or F. Sporting clays typically with an IC, LM, or M.
Usually, a sporting shooter would need one for close, one for most and on for far. In my gas gunm I carry a SK and IM and use a LM 90% of the time. In my O/U, I carry an IC and a IM and use 2 LMs in the barrels.

As to brands, I like Trulock and Briley. Carlson and Teague are also very good. There's nothing magical about these things; as long as they are concentric, any brand should work well enough

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Came wit IC and Full. Pretty sure they are Winchoke but see those come in 3 different styles. Not sure how to identify what style would fit mine. How does one tell if they are 'concentric'

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
You tell at the pattern board with your load. If they aren't hitting where you're pointing, there might be an issue. That said, different ammo can give you different results as well. I like extended chokes for a few reasons:
Protects the muzzles of the barrels form damage (cheaper to replace a $50 choke than a $1000 barrel) and they also let me wasily see what I have in the gun. Now, if all you are doing is skeet, then that is not as important as 2 Sk chokes will do the job. But if you are shooting skeet, trap, and sporting where you will change them for each discipline, that might be an advantage. Sounds like you're missing a M. Most field guns that come with 3 chokes are typically IC, M and F. Since you mention more sporting, I would I would pick up either a LM or M to go with your IC; that should cover 95% of what you will see, especially if this is just for grins and giggles and not serious competition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just ordered a modified yesterday. Figure that will do me a lot better than full until I improve the thing behind the barrel :giggle:

Thanks all! Sincerely appreciate the guidance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts