Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my M590A1 yesterday. 20" bbl, 8+1 capacity.

Pretty sweet shotgun. Has the SpeedFeed stock, ghost ring sights, bayo lug and all that. Really heavy! Not necessarily a bad thing though. I like the fact that it will outlive me. Shoot, it might even outlive the cockroaches!

Unfortunately, it has to go on a trip back to Mossberg. Had scratches and some chipped-off finish on certain parts. I witnessed my FFL open the shrinkwrapped box up personally, so it is definitely a new gun. Also, the front sight wasn't pushed all the way to the center. Not like I'm going for the utmost accuracy (it is a shotgun, after all), but I just dont like half-assed things. I guess I got a Friday afternoon gun...haha.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked up my M590A1 yesterday. 20" bbl, 8+1 capacity.

Pretty sweet shotgun. Has the SpeedFeed stock, ghost ring sights, bayo lug and all that. Really heavy! Not necessarily a bad thing though. I like the fact that it will outlive me. Shoot, it might even outlive the cockroaches!

Unfortunately, it has to go on a trip back to Mossberg. Had scratches and some chipped-off finish on certain parts. I witnessed my FFL open the shrinkwrapped box up personally, so it is definitely a new gun. Also, the front sight wasn't pushed all the way to the center. Not like I'm going for the utmost accuracy (it is a shotgun, after all), but I just dont like half-assed things. I guess I got a Friday afternoon gun...haha.
I HIGHLY recommend you get the replacement magazine tube spring from Wolff. My factory spring had all sorts of issues with twisting/binding and it is a fairly common issue from what I have heard from other shooters. The Wolff spring fixed this issue for me. Springs for MOSSBERG Rifles & Shotguns

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice gun right there. I just picked up a new IAC Hawk 982 for $190.00. Didn't know what I would get as I had never even seen one in person. This shotgun is as good or better than my Rem. 870 express. I have disassembled/reassembled it and well here goes, I would have to say it is better quality all around than the Remington 870 express. Finish, fit, quality of construction. The whole nine yards in one package.

I would take a 590A1 in a heartbeat also.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^5 on the Mossberg and on the IAC 982. I'd love to own a 590A1, but I can't afford it. I do own an IAC 982 though, gotta love ghost ring sights on a < $200 shotgun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Yeah I had a Maverick 88 5+1, but upgraded to the 590A1. I'll definitely be getting a full body workout. It weighs about 9 lbs fully loaded w/ 00 buck (and 4 in the speedfeed).

By the way, does anybody have any experience with Mossberg customer service? They haven't gotten back to me yet. I've never heard anything about them, so I guess I'll give them another day or two and just call them.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how does that speedfeed stock work for you? been thinking about one myself.
I haven't gotten around to even shooting it yet. It's convenient to have those extra 4 shells, but I can't say that I could reload the shotgun super fast.

I actually prefer the Knoxx SpecOps stock (I had one on my Maverick 88 ). The only downside is that the comb is raised so you can't see properly down the bead sights. This shouldn't be a problem for ghost ring sights though...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, does anyone here have a ghost ring sight setup with the SpecOps stock? I was just wondering if they worked well together.
I have an Eo-Tech so kind of close to the height. It should raise up your sight line perfect with ghost-rings. If you do go with an optic you should opt for the Power-Pak and put on the cheek raiser.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have an Eo-Tech so kind of close to the height. It should raise up your sight line perfect with ghost-rings. If you do go with an optic you should opt for the Power-Pak and put on the cheek raiser.
Great, thanks for the input! As I said earlier, the Knoxx doesn't work well with bead sights, but since the ghost rings are higher, I figure they'd be perfect. The safety isn't in the best position for a pistol grip stock, but I've been using the Knoxx for so many years that my hand just feels weird with a regular stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts